Power of electricians

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dertt

Reaction score
Can any one explain the attitude of electrians within the internet network.i am a novice asking questions and willing to learn but all I get is sarcasm and bullying that I assume goes on with these people when they are at work.i would like to know where this breed originated(the electrician)and what soil they were grown in.

thanks.

Dertt.

You seemed to.i was only asking a question in the beginning because I am a novice at this but all I got was sarcasm.i have no idea why.it was only a question.

Having read your previous post Dertt and with the greatest of respect, surely if you have a mate that is teaching you and overseeing the job, would it not be in your best interest to take his advice first and foremost rather than search an Internet forum for the advice? Now if your mate has advised something and you have done a bit of research and it has thrown up some contradictions to what your mate was suggesting then by all means raise the issue on the forums. 

But I'll tell you this much, if I had a mate that I was training and I found out that he was asking questions on a forum prior to asking me then he'd be finding some other mate to train him as I wouldn't have time. 

Now if you are as you say a Novice and you are interested in a career change then we may direct you in the best way to become trained, however as a reminder Electricty can and does kill, so it'd be foolish of us trained persons to go giving out advice to a novice on such type of installation. Perhaps, dare I say, it is you naivety or ignorance to the power of electricity when not installed correctly that is causing the issue and not the attitude of the trained? I will finish by saying you are not the first nor be the last to come to a forum and ask for advice that is out of your understanding. So please sit down with your mentor and ask him as many questions as you like, if he is genuinely interested in training you then he will be patient in his explanations. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct.i was asking questions before I asked my mate.the reason I asked him was that I found I was out of my depth after receiving some answers.what really put me off this site was when I only recieved sarcastic comments.pointless.agreed?

The only bit I picked up from your now closed thread, is you changed the CU you are going to use for a garage unit with a 40A rated rcd because it was "better sized". Now I can understand that if you are only planning a couple of circuits and it would be neater to have a small CU instead of a large one, but I worry that your motive for changing it was the rating of the RCD, not the physical size or number of circuits.

The only bit I picked up from your now closed thread, is you changed the CU you are going to use for a garage unit with a 40A rated rcd because it was "better sized". Now I can understand that if you are only planning a couple of circuits and it would be neater to have a small CU instead of a large one, but I worry that your motive for changing it was the rating of the RCD, not the physical size or number of circuits.

It's one 32a power and one 6a lighting.with a 6mm swa coming in from 35 metres away off a 32a mcb at the house.

Regarding the voltage drop it was within 4%.but I suppose my electrician will be explaining other aspects as well.

thanks for your reply.

Consult your mate who is, as you claim, test and sign off....

Yes of course.absolutely brilliant advice.thanks.

It doesn’t just boil down to testing.

Someone has to put their name to the design, who is going to do that?

No one on here is daft enough to put their neck in the noose. Your “mate” must be suicidal if he is willing to put his neck in the noose.

The reason “mate” is inverted comas is I like others don’t believe he exists.

Regarding the voltage drop it was within 4%.but I suppose my electrician will be explaining other aspects as well.

thanks for your reply.

dont forget that the total volt drop includes the submain & final circuits so if you use your full drop allowence on the submain then you dont have any left for your final circuits. of course, your sparky would already know all of this and im sure he has done the full cable calcs on both the submain and final circuits to ensure they fully comply with requirements

or maybe '6mm is rated to / over 32a, itll be fine'

It doesn’t just boil down to testing.

Someone has to put their name to the design, who is going to do that?

No one on here is daft enough to put their neck in the noose. Your “mate” must be suicidal if he is willing to put his neck in the noose.

The reason “mate” is inverted comas is I like others don’t believe he exists.
Ok.so when he comes back from holiday and starts to alter things does that make it his design?

i think it's very kind of everyone to be looking out for me.