Testing for continuity of circuit protective conductor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plw

Reaction score
Hi there, 

I understand that a cpc continuity test is used to make sure that the wires are continuous and to make sure there is no high resistance within the circuit. I know that there are two different methods of testing, method 1 and method 2-long lead method.

I just wondered whether the method (1 or 2)  you use is dependent upon the type of circuit (e.g. radial, ring final, lighting etc.) you are testing on, or if you can use either method for each type of circuit. 

Thanks. 

Method 2 will only give you an R2 reading and is generally used for condition reports where it is preferable not to unnecessarily disconnect circuits for testing . 

Method 2 is  utilised for testing  main protective bonding conductors in new or existing installations.

Method 1 has the advantage of providing an (R1 + R2) value for circuits which is helpful in determining an overall Zs value for each circuit.

Ring circuits are tested in a slightly different fashion to either Method 1 or 2, it involves 3 different stages which are detailed in In Site Guide or any decent reference book.

Hope this helps . 

As above, method 1 usually on new installations or where you have a helper to do the linking. Method 2 on EICR type tests for simplicity.

Rings are always method 1 (in that the long lead method can't be used) but you can do it from any point on the ring though if dismantling the CU/DB isn't convenient.