Insulation Reistance and Earth Continuity Test Results

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahNYC

Reaction score
Hello

We've had 3 separate readings for our tumble dryer and they seem to vary quite a bit. Don't know what this means! We're hesitant to get another electrician as we've been told it's normal?  We still feel there's a problem with the machine and aren't sure if this would be relevant? Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thank you! 

Insulation Resistence 1 - 597 M

Insulation Resistence 2 - >999

Insulation Resistence 3 - 350 M

Earth Continuity 1 - 0.01

Earth Continuity 2 - 0.24

Earth Continuity 3 - 0.19 

What problem do you think you have with the machine?

In a nutshell the insulation resistance numbers want to be big (three digits or more)..

and the earth continuity readings need to be small numbers, less than 1.

The test results can vary due to different test meters used..

method of connecting test leads (probes / Croc clips)..

how accurately leads have been zeroed (or not!)..

what voltage is being used to test the Insulation resistance..

On the face of it your numbers all suggest the machine should have a reasonable supply connection.

:coffee

Before this thread continues ...is your drier one of the Whirlpool  / Indisit / Hotpoint   ones with on their re- call list ?      If so the latest advice  (Radio5 this week)  is to NOT use it .   Previous advice , apparently , was don't use it unsupervised.

Thanks both!

Yes it is one of the Hotpoint ones but it was modified within a couple weeks of receiving it ironically prior to the announcement, don't get me started! The  issues we're having now are it just doesn't work well or dry anything without using it for a ridiculous amount of time, our clothes come out smelling a bit like burnt rubber after so many cycles and it's just really pointless using it unless it's for a single sock! Also sounds dreadful. We've had numerous engineers out who say it's fine and even paid for electricians but it just doesn't seem right so wondered if any of this would effect its use...of these look okay then it must be something else. 

There is a big difference between it being electrically safe, and working properly. It sounds to me like there is a blockage and the air cannot circulate from the heater to the drum. No amount of electrical testing will find that fault, it needs to be stripped down and checked for blockages, does the fan run etc etc.

Thanks Dave! This is exactly why I thought I'd ask, not a pro and wasn't sure if the electrics would effect anything else like this. I think will probably send it to the tip at this rate! 

The trouble is with these new driers is that that sense the moisture content in the drum and when it says it's low enough the machine stops, wifey was having same trouble with the replacement that we received, however a read of the instructions and voila there is a button to push which effectively overrides it so the machine will go and go until you say the items are dry!! 

I have a pet hate of tumble dryers because of the amount of electricity they use.  We never use ours to "dry" stuff. It's only "use" is to make towels and socks fluffy. To achieve that, it is not necessary to tumble them until bone dry. A shorter period of tumbling, then take them out still slightly damp and hang them up to finish drying and they still pass the "fluffyness" test.

I know it's ridiculous. I'm just so used to them as growing up in NYC we had a laundry room in our apartment building with massive industrial size appliances that were free to use, amazingly good and quick so you could do a whole weeks worth of clothes in no time and back in the closet! Thanks again 

Our dryer is stupid, it has 2 heat settings, however they are not controlled by a switch, they are on the timer. Basically if you set it for say 30 minutes it goes into low power mode, set it for 10 minutes and it's high power. I've had so many arguments with the stupid machine that I now refuse to deal with it, it sits there sulking! I'll put washing in the washer and sort that if I'm at home and the wife's at work, I'll hoover up, clean windows, even cook the meals, yes I'm quite happy doing any of that but go near the dryer, never! If it thinks for one minute that it's going to sit there sulking and doing it's own thing well let it,it's got to rust to bits eventually.lol