About SMA cluster controller

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctgbmoz

Reaction score
I am using sma cluster controller as a gateway to communicate with pv inverter thought modbus tcp.

However, cluster controller always respond modbus exception illegal function for the command I used below

00 01 00 00 00 06 03 04 00 04 00 02
to read the 30005 data from inverter

00 01 00 00 00 06 01 04 00 04 00 02

to read the 30005 data from cluster controller, both fail

I have enable modbus tcp function and config my inverter to be Unit ID 3
Anyone with experience in sma can help?

I have tried two different modbus tcp tester both failed

and they both provide low level transaction log in hex so I post it

Pv inverter should be auto config to unit ID 3 and I have checked it from the system xml file according to user manual

Even pv inverter failed, cluster controller should be unit id 1 without any config

And those address I found from manual, and I am not writing them should be no access Right error

Anyone have exp in setup sma cluster controller modbus tcp connection?

I have contacted sma for query and they said no one report similar issue so I think I am doing something Silly. Anyone have clue?

Canoeboy said:
Using the register address - but not in hex......

I've never done it any other way.

I guess you are saying you have always had some higher level tool to do this? You could also say that if all you had used was a smartphone and an app then using any sort of register was unnecessary. Nothing wrong with using a higher level language, but they all get compiled and converted into the same strings when it is all said and done.

what are you actually trying to achieve, SMA stuff is pretty much 'plug and play' ?  It sounds like you are over complicating things. Now I've not installed a cluster controller on any Solar systems to date, but for the SMA stuff I have fitted, mostly it's a case of linking to the SMA portal for which downloading the SMA software tends to help, and it kind of sorts itself out. And it must be quite simple, because I don't do any form of programming. They only thing we have had to do, is nominate an IP adress.