DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
ctgbmoz

About SMA cluster controller

ctgbmoz

I am using sma cluster controller as a gateway to communicate with pv inverter thought modbus tcp.

However, cluster controller always respond modbus exception illegal function for the command I used below

00 01 00 00 00 06 03 04 00 04 00 02
to read the 30005 data from inverter

00 01 00 00 00 06 01 04 00 04 00 02

to read the 30005 data from cluster controller, both fail

I have enable modbus tcp function and config my inverter to be Unit ID 3
Anyone with experience in sma can help?

Canoeboy

Sounds like a confiuration or addressing error

Page 15 of the manual and look at the errors

http://files.sma.de/dl/24399/ClusterController_MODBUS-TI-US-en-17.pdf

What are you reading over modbus ? And not sure what or why your using a hex code either.

Lurch
12 minutes ago, Canoeboy said:

And not sure what or why your using a hex code either.

How else do you read Modbus?

Canoeboy

Using the register address - but not in hex......

I guess you could post it in Octal an be correct as its just a number at the end of the day

ctgbmoz

I have tried two different modbus tcp tester both failed

and they both provide low level transaction log in hex so I post it

Pv inverter should be auto config to unit ID 3 and I have checked it from the system xml file according to user manual

Even pv inverter failed, cluster controller should be unit id 1 without any config

And those address I found from manual, and I am not writing them should be no access Right error

Anyone have exp in setup sma cluster controller modbus tcp connection?

I have contacted sma for query and they said no one report similar issue so I think I am doing something Silly. Anyone have clue?

Lurch
4 hours ago, Canoeboy said:

Using the register address - but not in hex......

I've never done it any other way.

I guess you are saying you have always had some higher level tool to do this? You could also say that if all you had used was a smartphone and an app then using any sort of register was unnecessary. Nothing wrong with using a higher level language, but they all get compiled and converted into the same strings when it is all said and done.

Canoeboy

Yes, all i have ever used is the decimal register and set up for either high or low byte first depending on the actual manufacturer's implementation, never needed to do hex at all and have done a lot of modbus over the years with Siemens, Allen Bradley, Parker SSD and Redlion among others, never done anything with SMA though but looking at their manual if i plugged a redlion HMI into it then it looks to me like i would just read and write decimal registers.

binky

what are you actually trying to achieve, SMA stuff is pretty much 'plug and play' ?  It sounds like you are over complicating things. Now I've not installed a cluster controller on any Solar systems to date, but for the SMA stuff I have fitted, mostly it's a case of linking to the SMA portal for which downloading the SMA software tends to help, and it kind of sorts itself out. And it must be quite simple, because I don't do any form of programming. They only thing we have had to do, is nominate an IP adress.

Canoeboy

@binky this is actually using the Modbus protocol (communications language) to interrogate a cluster controller that talks to a number of inverters, modbus is quite simple and looking at the SMA manual its should be pretty straight forward (but does require some programming knowledge) but the original poster hasnt clearly stated exactly what hes trying to do other than he cant communicate with a tcp tester which i have never used for modbus as i always use a redlion hmi which talks to 99% of anything to prove comms.

I would hazard a guess the tester is wrong, configured wrong or not compatible......