Jump to content

DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
davyp1

Difficulty in removing existing Close-coupled Toilet

Recommended Posts

davyp1

I need to remove then refit an existing close-coupled toilet to enable tiling and fitting of new floor covering which I would like to go under the pan.

Removal of the Cistern fixings has not been a problem, as it is simply screwed into wall plugs.

But I am having problems removing the pan. Two small holes exist near the floor and at the back of the pan (one to each side). Looking through these holes with a torch, I can see what looks like a pozi screw head, but all efforts with a screw driver do not release the fixings holding the pan down.

Help please!

Regards,

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

those screws often rust & seize making removal almost impossible without breaking something. try a bit WD40. other than that it may have to be broken out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davyp1
3 minutes ago, Andy™ said:

those screws often rust & seize making removal almost impossible without breaking something. try a bit WD40. other than that it may have to be broken out

 

 

Thanks for that.  

 

The toilet was only fitted temporally about a year ago pending choice of tile & Floor covering so I'm not convinced that rusting is the problem.

Should the screws open fully (anti-clockwise) to release the pan, or is it just a partial turn that is required?

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch

What Andy said (I would mention him but this forum is stupid and can't find him as it is rubbish) and also you might find that you can just lever the pan forwards and pull the fixings out of the substrate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerching

If you think how much 'stuff' must have hit those screws over the years , it is no wonder they seize.

 

try using a multi tool on a slight angle so you are cutting the screws very slightly below floor level,so,as no to trash the pan

 

 

WARNING?....when the multitool blade gets warm it will release the mystical smell that has soaked into the floor and hidden for a number of years

 

 

This is NOT to be sniffed at

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch

 

1 minute ago, davyp1 said:

Should the screws open fully (anti-clockwise) to release the pan, or is it just a partial turn that is required?

 

Are they actually fixed into the floor or are the perpendicular to the floor? Either way, neither option. Usually they need removing altogether. A picture would help at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davyp1
2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

What Andy said (I would mention him but this forum is stupid and can't find him as it is rubbish) and also you might find that you can just lever the pan forwards and pull the fixings out of the substrate.

 

 

Cheers Mate.

 

The sub is floorboards! Do you think the screws would pull out without the pan breaking?

Thanks . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

maybe, maybe not. if the head of them in accessible you could grind them. if recessed you could try to drill them. neither method is guaranteed.  but as lurch says you may be able to lift it up with a crowbar enough to rip screw out but that depends what screw was  fitted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davyp1
5 minutes ago, Lurch said:

 

 

Are they actually fixed into the floor or are the perpendicular to the floor? Either way, neither option. Usually they need removing altogether. A picture would help at this point.

 

 

It is a fitting inside the pottery fixed down to the floor-boards and the screw head is accessed through a small hole in pottery at each side!

Bear with me I will post a photo . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

if its the ones i think it is, there is an almost 90degree plastic bracket that is fixed to the floor with lots of holes on the side. toilet is then put on top and a screw goes through the side of base into one of the holes in the plastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch
9 minutes ago, davyp1 said:

It is a fitting inside the pottery fixed down to the floor-boards and the screw head is accessed through a small hole in pottery at each side!

 

Ah right, yeah, probably not going to pull out then. TBH I have never had a problem with getting the screws out of these, I think you must just be doing it wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davyp1
18 minutes ago, Lurch said:

 

Ah right, yeah, probably not going to pull out then. TBH I have never had a problem with getting the screws out of these, I think you must just be doing it wrong.

 

You may be right, I was just trying to screw it out but had no joy either side. Although the pan has moved about 2cm from the wall at one side.

 

How do you attach a photo on here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davyp1
32 minutes ago, Andy™ said:

if its the ones i think it is, there is an almost 90degree plastic bracket that is fixed to the floor with lots of holes on the side. toilet is then put on top and a screw goes through the side of base into one of the holes in the plastic

 

Andy, I do think you may be right. I vaguely remember fixing some sort of bracket to the floor!

So am I right in thinking that both screws should undo and release the pan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch
3 minutes ago, davyp1 said:

So am I right in thinking that both screws should undo and release the pan?

 

Yes, as in completely undo and remove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davyp1
6 minutes ago, Lurch said:

 

Yes, as in completely undo and remove.

 

Will have another crack at it in the morning.

Photos below ....

SAM_2133 (Small).JPG

SAM_2132 (Small).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Duck
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

What Andy said (I would mention him but this forum is stupid and can't find him as it is rubbish) and also you might find that you can just lever the pan forwards and pull the fixings out of the substrate.

 

Just for you Lurchio...

 

 

As for toilets.... carefully undo with an impact driver, they are usually better at removing rusty screws or just shearing the head off either way you free the pan.

Toilet screws go very rusty very quickly especially if you have kids.

 

Anyone else had the satisfaction of smashing a toilet on another toilet? 

 

 

Edited by Blue Duck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

may be possible to hammer the screw further in (bending / breaking the bracket) allowing it to be lifted up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sidewinder

That's a Pozidrive screwdriver in the picture in post #15.

If the screw heads are Phillips, then the point geometry is wrong and the driver will slip in the heads if they are tight.

Mind a Phillips form is designed to cam out at high torque also!

Great for preventing massive over tightening on installation, rubbish at gripping to get tight screws out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch
59 minutes ago, davyp1 said:

Photos below ....

 

Well, those are the screw holes, but there are no screws in there. Don't know what you can see but I am fairly certain that there are no fixings there to be undone. That being the case the only thing holding it in now will be the pan connector so a pull away from the wall should see it out.

 

1 hour ago, Blue Duck said:

Just for you Lurchio...

 

Shouldn't need a workaround, things should just work properly. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sidewinder
56 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Shouldn't need a workaround, things should just work properly. :)

 

They do, if, you put the right info in, look at Andy's actual user name and all will become clear.

 

Garbage in, garbage out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch
6 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

 

They do, if, you put the right info in, look at Andy's actual user name and all will become clear.

 

Garbage in, garbage out.

 

Which keys do you press to get it to work then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sidewinder
8 minutes ago, Lurch said:

 

Which keys do you press to get it to work then?

 

You seem to be the one with the issue, you sort it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch
17 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

 

You seem to be the one with the issue, you sort it out.

 

I couldn't really give a courgette. You are the one giving it the billy big Radishes again so I thought you could show us all how clever you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™
8 minutes ago, Lurch said:

 

so I thought you could show us all how clever you are.

 

he doesnt need to prove he is cleverer than you. we all know he is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch
Just now, Andy™ said:

 

he doesnt need to prove he is cleverer than you. we all know he is

 

Anyone can keep saying 'I know the answer to this, I'll tell you tomorrow' and then not bother. Doesn't make someone cleverer.

 

Anyway, that wasn't the point, but whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.