Difficulty in removing existing Close-coupled Toilet

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davyp1

Reaction score
I need to remove then refit an existing close-coupled toilet to enable tiling and fitting of new floor covering which I would like to go under the pan.

Removal of the Cistern fixings has not been a problem, as it is simply screwed into wall plugs.

But I am having problems removing the pan. Two small holes exist near the floor and at the back of the pan (one to each side). Looking through these holes with a torch, I can see what looks like a pozi screw head, but all efforts with a screw driver do not release the fixings holding the pan down.

Help please!

Regards,

David

those screws often rust & seize making removal almost impossible without breaking something. try a bit WD40. other than that it may have to be broken out

those screws often rust & seize making removal almost impossible without breaking something. try a bit WD40. other than that it may have to be broken out

Thanks for that.  

The toilet was only fitted temporally about a year ago pending choice of tile & Floor covering so I'm not convinced that rusting is the problem.

Should the screws open fully (anti-clockwise) to release the pan, or is it just a partial turn that is required?

Cheers

What Andy said (I would mention him but this forum is stupid and can't find him as it is rubbish) and also you might find that you can just lever the pan forwards and pull the fixings out of the substrate.

If you think how much 'stuff' must have hit those screws over the years , it is no wonder they seize.

try using a multi tool on a slight angle so you are cutting the screws very slightly below floor level,so,as no to trash the pan

WARNING?....when the multitool blade gets warm it will release the mystical smell that has soaked into the floor and hidden for a number of years

This is NOT to be sniffed at

Should the screws open fully (anti-clockwise) to release the pan, or is it just a partial turn that is required?

Are they actually fixed into the floor or are the perpendicular to the floor? Either way, neither option. Usually they need removing altogether. A picture would help at this point.

What Andy said (I would mention him but this forum is stupid and can't find him as it is rubbish) and also you might find that you can just lever the pan forwards and pull the fixings out of the substrate.

Cheers Mate.

The sub is floorboards! Do you think the screws would pull out without the pan breaking?

Thanks . . . 

maybe, maybe not. if the head of them in accessible you could grind them. if recessed you could try to drill them. neither method is guaranteed.  but as lurch says you may be able to lift it up with a crowbar enough to rip screw out but that depends what screw was  fitted

Are they actually fixed into the floor or are the perpendicular to the floor? Either way, neither option. Usually they need removing altogether. A picture would help at this point.

It is a fitting inside the pottery fixed down to the floor-boards and the screw head is accessed through a small hole in pottery at each side!

Bear with me I will post a photo . . . 

if its the ones i think it is, there is an almost 90degree plastic bracket that is fixed to the floor with lots of holes on the side. toilet is then put on top and a screw goes through the side of base into one of the holes in the plastic

It is a fitting inside the pottery fixed down to the floor-boards and the screw head is accessed through a small hole in pottery at each side!

Ah right, yeah, probably not going to pull out then. TBH I have never had a problem with getting the screws out of these, I think you must just be doing it wrong.

Ah right, yeah, probably not going to pull out then. TBH I have never had a problem with getting the screws out of these, I think you must just be doing it wrong.

You may be right, I was just trying to screw it out but had no joy either side. Although the pan has moved about 2cm from the wall at one side.

How do you attach a photo on here?

if its the ones i think it is, there is an almost 90degree plastic bracket that is fixed to the floor with lots of holes on the side. toilet is then put on top and a screw goes through the side of base into one of the holes in the plastic

Andy, I do think you may be right. I vaguely remember fixing some sort of bracket to the floor!

So am I right in thinking that both screws should undo and release the pan?

Just for you Lurchio...

As for toilets.... carefully undo with an impact driver, they are usually better at removing rusty screws or just shearing the head off either way you free the pan.

Toilet screws go very rusty very quickly especially if you have kids.

Anyone else had the satisfaction of smashing a toilet on another toilet? 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a Pozidrive screwdriver in the picture in post #15.

If the screw heads are Phillips, then the point geometry is wrong and the driver will slip in the heads if they are tight.

Mind a Phillips form is designed to cam out at high torque also!

Great for preventing massive over tightening on installation, rubbish at gripping to get tight screws out.

Photos below ....

Well, those are the screw holes, but there are no screws in there. Don't know what you can see but I am fairly certain that there are no fixings there to be undone. That being the case the only thing holding it in now will be the pan connector so a pull away from the wall should see it out.

Just for you Lurchio...

Shouldn't need a workaround, things should just work properly. :)