Exposed external wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve smith

Reaction score
Hello there.

I recently bought a house and noticed a single length of wiring (about 4 inches) exposed outside at ground level which I believe goes from the house to the garage in which there is a plug socket. Is it okay just to cement it in, or are there alternatives?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Steve

exposed as in bare copper you can touch or just a cable on show? clipped direct is an acceptable method, however the cable must be suitable for its location

pic would be useful

Hello Andy, thanks for your reply. I should have said it's in a PVC sheath. Thanks, Steve (sorry, I'm not at the house right now).

Hello there.

I recently bought a house and noticed a single length of wiring (about 4 inches) exposed outside at ground level which I believe goes from the house to the garage in which there is a plug socket. Is it okay just to cement it in, or are there alternatives?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Steve
Welcome to the forum Steve.

A picture would be useful, not sure if one of the Admins who can upgrade your account is around, else, if you keep posting, then you'll get to the minimum to allow you to post pictures, it's an anti-spam measure.

TBH, I don't think anyone can answer anything but, perhaps unless we can see the situation! ;)

I should have said it's in a PVC sheath
PVC sheath isnt that helpful, almost all cables are PVC. if its T&E (which i suspect it will be) then it doesnt really comply and shouldnt be there, however we have all seen plenty T&E cables outside that have not been affected by sun / weather so its probably not dangerous as such

it was SWA then it should be fine, providing its been installed and terminated correctly at both ends

Just as a point of practice, am I right in thinking that until certain, fairly recent editions (perhaps 15?) T+E on a catenery was allowed

providing the catenery wire was earthed (ha ha ROFL, big cash prizes if you ever find one).

I remember it being used as an example of allowable 'like for like' replacements when Part P came in.

It's always seemed like a rubbish method of getting power somewhere to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a point of practice, am I right in thinking that until certain, fairly recent editions (perhaps 15?) T+E on a catenery was allowed

providing the catenery wire was earthed (ha ha ROFL, big cash prizes if you ever find one).

I remember it being used as an example of allowable 'like for like' replacements when Part P came in.

Not sure, and I can't search my earlier versions of the regs apart from by looking through the book! ;(

Would be good if they were scanned & converted to text, lots of work that through.

When we bought out cottage, there was a leak in the ceiling in the annexe. We knew that when we bought it, but when I went up into the loft, the felt and rafters were bone dry....

Yes, you've guessed it, the muppets had a catenery pointing downwards from the house, making a nice little run for water :bangshead:

That and the fact the 4mm catenery fused at 32A went into a JB to feed lights on 1mm and radial sockets on 1.5mm. Much to my other halfs confusion ('what are you doing that for,

surely that's not a priority!') it was the first thing to be cut down the day we moved in!

Oh there was a drip loop alright, dripping right onto the floor inside :)

They must have put up with this for YEARS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Steve

If you would like a professional opinion, pm me. Happy to come and take a look!

Used to see that quite a lot TBH   . I think it was just a cheapo method with no regard to  the Regs  TBH .    Twin & Earth  (6242Y )  is affected by UV  sunlight so no good outside anyway .  

Don't remember seeing that one, but T&E isn't suitable due to being solid stranded, so doesn't flex with the wind. Now it may take many many years, but I have encountered T&E that had snapped internally due to movement in the wind.