17th exam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
anyone know someplace offering the exam only, with the course costing £500+ i could get a train to nearly anywhere book a hotel have a mini holiday and sit the exam for less.

Thank you.

I only found one place when I was looking, and it was the place you asked about in your other thread. Don't think you are going to find a much more convenient solution than that TBH.

From what I can gather, exam only is technically not allowed, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, in that C+G ''forbid'' it being marketed without some study over a certain amount of hours.

Other have seemingly booked ''resits'' and not been challenged.

On another thread there was a co. charging £165 + VAT at various venues with online pre-study only, i.e. Exam Only if you don't study, I guess...

I forget the name but it was a very recent thread. I have not used the company myself.

@Lurch sorry we posted at the same time and I didn't realise it was the same OP either!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard talk of such things but I don't think you can actually do it .   I don't know that for certain.    I heard of guys saying they would book for the exam only back in the 16th edition days.   Only know I had to sign up for the night school course at local college for 17th  ,  cost over £400  .  I remember the exam date is set by the college and we had to wait for a link to open to the United States where the C & G  was monitored :C . as it s done on a live link .  

I've heard talk of such things but I don't think you can actually do it .   I don't know that for certain.    I heard of guys saying they would book for the exam only back in the 16th edition days.   Only know I had to sign up for the night school course at local college for 17th  ,  cost over £400  .  I remember the exam date is set by the college and we had to wait for a link to open to the United States where the C & G  was monitored :C . as it s done on a live link .  

I only read it on another forum, apparently someone booked onto a resit at a college and wasn't asked for proof of a previous failure, could have just been a one off or an admin slipup. Or made up :)

Ah !   I've heard of that now you mention it ,   presumably if you fail , they have your details ...possibly don't need to attend the whole course ...mug up on weak points then just  pay the exam fee.  

Jason , suggest you ask at local college .

I think I remember , if you had your 15th edition you could just sit exam for the 16th ....if not it was the whole course.

I've got a 17th simulator you can have, it's a .exe fle that runs just like the real exam. Did my 17th in 2010(?) I think but it's still I'm sure the questions are all pretty valid. Got it from a lecturer somewhere along the line.

Was it yourself , Onoff , who sent a copy to me ?      WHoever it was , it was a great help .   It would just have the Amendments missing today , the bulk of it is still there. 

Was it yourself , Onoff , who sent a copy to me ?      WHoever it was , it was a great help .   It would just have the Amendments missing today , the bulk of it is still there. 

Sorry only just read this. Yep, 'twas me. Sent you a load of stuff for someone you knew I think.

Had a date for the 18th edition been set yet ?

I had my NIC assessment  this week by a new guy who was quite thorough , he asked if I had Sat a 3rd Amnd course which I had Not, so then quizzed me on plastic consumer units etc.  As I was deemed competent  😄that was good enough.

Sorry only just read this. Yep, 'twas me. Sent you a load of stuff for someone you knew I think.
Ah thats right !  ....Yep, for the lad who does practical with us ....he,s trying to get through his courses & become a sparks  when no one is employing anyone .

As I've said before ,  no one on his course at the local college can get a start  or even any practical experience .  

When I did 17th myself  I found the simulation exam disc really helpful .    I ran it the first time ..thinking I knew the Regs.... printed it out ... and failed miserably .

A warning to others here ....some of the questions I didn't read properly ...and (remembering  I was last at college around the time of The Charge of the Light Brigade)..some of them seemed illogical to my ancient brain which made me make the wrong choice .    

An example of the sort that  threw me would be ....... "  Which of the following is not used for whatever .....?"       I would miss the operative  word ..NOT in the question .

Trouble with all this is of course ,  I was finding my around the Big Red Book  so they promptly changed it to .....er..Green was it ?  and another £70 ...and they then changed to the Yellow  ...and another £70 !!!