New electrical installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovejoy

Reaction score
I am installing the wiring in a domestic extension that was started in 2004.

The extension is subject to the old regs.

Can all the electrical work be done to the old regs ?

Yes the consumer unit was installed in 2004 with meter tails fitted but other connections have yet to be made.

Yes the consumer unit was installed in 2004 with meter tails fitted but other connections have yet to be made.

Hmm, a bit tenuous. Could quite easily be argued that there is a clear distinction between the wiring of the extension and the consumer unit itself.

My only experience of this was during my training I was working on a large refurbishment, all the plans were submitted under the 16th edition most of the cables were run under the 16th.

The work was slow because the owners kept changing their minds and in rolled the 17th but all the intake equipment, boards were installed and cables were first fixed so there was no need to change anything because of the new regs.

If however the cables weren't already in and the 16th boards installed then I suppose they would have had to re submit plans under the 17th.

(I was just a labourer back then).

So just as I do today: any new circuits should be installed to the current version of BS7671.

Oh and nobody cares about part P not even the electric police.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I had/have the exact same problem, almost,

Job started in 2008, not finished yet,

I used it for my assessment last year, anything installed should be installed to the regulations in force at the time, but, the regs aren't retrospective, so the highly flammable CU under the stairs is fine, but circuits installed now must comply with amd3, note, I didn't say added, as it is the same installation , just not finished yet.

Basically, anything you install now must comply with 17th amd3, but anything installed preciously is fine. 

That's fairly clear cut though, I've done the same on several jobs over the years. I think when the OP says the extension was started in 2004 they mean the footings were laid in 2004 and that was it. There is no way that you can install this to 2004 regulations.

I built an extension to my house in 2002. I wired to an en-suite shower, 10mm for shower, light coiled in loft, 3 core to fan coiled in hole in wall all wired to switch boxes  in the bedroom but dead at the supply ends and no 2nd fix . I finally fitted out the room last year and got the building control sign off done, some 15 years after i started. The inspector looked at his papers and said  "ahh, this doesnt need part P as the application  pre dates it " 

It seemed odd 2nd fixing 'new' cables in red & black.

Don't forget the Olympic village etc was designed & installed to the 16th even though a lot of it was actually installed after the 17th came into force.

It's the date of the design that counts.

However, with a small install, you wouldn't get away with it, unless the electrics were designed and submitted to BS with the structural stuff at the time of BR/planning application etc.