Weird and very annoying wifi problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this only affects my macbook, all other devices are okay but the issue effects speeds with other devices.

I have to tilt the screen forward to get decent wifi reception sometimes almost closed  headbang  

Initially thought that it was an issue with the macbook when it started but cant find any evidence that there are any issues whatsoever with macbook other than the price! :lol:

When the issue started new tenants moved in downstairs but I didn't clock on until they moved out and the problem went away.

Now the owner is living there and the problem is back. :(  

The wifi is fine/ full reception most of the time then suddenly drops out and after much channel switching and messing about with settings I can get it back but it only lasts a few days and I have to start over.

We are all on BT round here as they are the only fibre provider, there is 10 BT routers in my wifi list and my neighbours is a HH6 and mine is an HH3.

So...

What can I do??

I want to blackout all my neighbours so I get the best reception, how can I achieve this?

Change to a fixed channel for one, ideally 13 as most 'auto settings' won't dish it out so basically a channel just for yourself. 

However, won't work for any US visitors. Or Raspberry pi 3's without latest updates or manual Gb En wifi config.

Also I seem to recall macs hate the 'auto WPA/WPA2' feature most offer. Again, choose WPA2 fixed.

I have monitored the behaviour of many homehubs together and they just all constantly dance around each

other hence problems with some systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall macs hate the 'auto WPA/WPA2' feature most offer. Again, choose WPA2 fixed.

This is generally the issue, and has been for years with ISP supplied ****boxes routers. I would always suggest shelving the "free" router and getting something decent.

Apparently the latest home hub (it's not called a home hub anymore) is actually quite good in genuine unbiased trials.

Some older home hubs looked identical but came in A and B versions, and were made by completely different manufacturers,  one decent and quite high end (Siemens Gigaset, as was) the other bobbins.

To be fair to BT, many other providers provide far worse free kit, those Thompson tat boxes get binned by me on sight.

Ive got a Vigor at home and its pretty bulletproof,  with standalone wifi access points.

Tp link are good for cheap stepups from free kit imho

Here's a nice article on using the Apple diagnostics.

You are most likely to be having channel overlap issues, so you want to select a channel that has the least overlap.

cheers, Paul

Change to a fixed channel for one, ideally 13 as most 'auto settings' won't dish it out so basically a channel just for yourself. 

However, won't work for any US visitors. Or Raspberry pi 3's without latest updates or manual Gb En wifi config.

Also I seem to recall macs hate the 'auto WPA/WPA2' feature most offer. Again, choose WPA2 fixed.

I have monitored the behaviour of many homehubs together and they just all constantly dance around each

other hence problems with some systems.

Thanks

13 was the last fixed channel I was trying and I was experiencing lots of drop offs last night hence the post. will try switching to WPA2..

It was auto overnight and this morning we are having issues again.

I have an WiFi analyser app on my android phone and it's quite amusing watch all these BT routers slogging it out with each other, funnily enough the app suggests that I use channel 14, there is no 14! :slap

I think there is a couple of old vigor routers at work somewhere that my boss couldn't get to work so he just kept buying new ones until it worked!

@PPP Thanks I will try check this out although the dropouts don't help.

:D

@datadiffusion I tried WPA and the reception is better but still getting drop outs. :(

@PPP 

Had a look at the article,  its a bit dated and this feature has changed and I've not worked my way around it yet.

thanks though. :)

I had issues with my macbook not allowing me to connect to the 2.4 GHz only the 5 GHz.

It used to be ok with either, then one day it changed (after an update i think)

I had to set the 5GHz network as my preferred one and now its ok. It still wont let me connect to the 2.4GHz network.

Ah, yes if you get a hh5 the first thing you should do is disable the 'web connection wizard' (splash screen devices are shown on first connect) and most importantly unbundle the merged 2.4 and 5 ghz networks, I.e. Not have a dual band network on same ssid, rename the 5 ghz network with a '-5' suffix for example. Personally I always rename default ssids so they do not immediately identify the kit being used...