Where Did I Go Wrong??/

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riber3

Reaction score
As this is my first posting please be gentle LOL. I was testing an electro magnetic switch on a 3 phase ramp that had a slightly bent actuator arm that had been repaired. I tested for continuity with a multimeter and all seemed ok.  I unplugged the 3 pin plug to expose the pins and  according to the drawing it operates on 24 volts and so I thought I could use my Sealey Probe tool to activate it just to see if it would throw the arm out. Sadly it did nothing and now my probes negative test light isn't working and will not reset.

So in conclusion I presume the amperage was to great for my probe to cope with despite having a safety reset? and can anyone tell me how I could perform this test to make the arm work before connecting back into the main system.

Many thanks

So you're testing limit S4?
Hi Rob,

No I was testing the EM1 to EM4 ratchets and it was the EM2 that had the problem hence I what to check it independently to see if it would throw out the ratchet arm latch

Ok, and you mention a sealy probe tool? Don't really understand how you'd be using this to test. 
I 'think' the probe tool,is one of those continuity/voltage testers that can output a small voltage for pulling in automotive relays etc

but this is only guesswork Biven the available info

Hi Rob

Sorry for the delay had pc trouble. In answer t your questions yes its an automotive probe rated at  24volt and it has a power application whereby you can bench test an item prior to fitting which can be useful at times Since I had disconnected the arm from the circut I thought I could do the same here but it seems sadly not. So my bad,  so that is why I was  wondering apart from what have I done wrong so that I don't make the same mistake again and what kind of bench test could I do to check the item? I hope that makes a bit more sense

Many thanks Rob I will do that,  just thought I could apply power to actuate it as I had continuity on it when I checked with a multi meter