Static Caravan Electrical Safety Certificate.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowhand

Reaction score
I've been asked to do a static caravan electrical safety certificate is it the same as an eicr?

I've never done one before and don't have a clue what's wanted.

Anyone know? 

have you done any other eicr before?

Yes.

Check the Regs Slowhand ....Section 721    . Which actually state that general requirements apply   ( 721.1   Note 1)

Thanks Evans l did check them.

I also checked section 708, quite a few of the hook-ups don't comply.

The caravan site has a guy that does these certificates but none of the customers ever get to see them.

They pay for them but don't get a copy.

I've never seen one so l don't know what they look like.

I suppose the question should have been is there a specific certificate for this or will an eicr suffice?

Just to clarify an EICR is a report not a certificate. Whatever work you are doing be it Minor, Rewire or Inspection and test, the essential information required for certificate and reporting is detailed in the model forms at the back of BS7671. There is no 'specific certificate' or report for caravans or anything else. Any electrician can produce their own in whatever style they like, providing all of the key details found on the model forms are recorded somewhere on either a hard copy media, or stored electronically, then that would be considered as complying with BS7671. If you compare an NICEIC or NAPIT EICR to the model forms they are all slightly different in format. So with your static caravan you could use a standard layout EICR exact copy from BS7671, or something more suitable to your own design with any non-relevant parts removed for ease of clarity.

Doc H.

As The Doc says  .

My comment was to say that general rules apply to a static home ,   I just re-read your OP and noticed it says Static Caravan    .   I was thinking of a Mobile home that is transported to site but is not classed as mobile .  

So I think you need to mug up on the Regs for Caravans  , never done one , so either back to the Regs or let someone else worry about it .  

Just to clarify an EICR is a report not a certificate. Whatever work you are doing be it Minor, Rewire or Inspection and test, the essential information required for certificate and reporting is detailed in the model forms at the back of BS7671. There is no 'specific certificate' or report for caravans or anything else. Any electrician can produce their own in whatever style they like, providing all of the key details found on the model forms are recorded somewhere on either a hard copy media, or stored electronically, then that would be considered as complying with BS7671. If you compare an NICEIC or NAPIT EICR to the model forms they are all slightly different in format. So with your static caravan you could use a standard layout EICR exact copy from BS7671, or something more suitable to your own design with any non-relevant parts removed for ease of clarity.

Doc H.

Yes l know where you're coming from but the thing that's got me baffled is they are specific about the title.

"Static caravan electrical safety certificate."

I've never heard of one.

I get the impression that its only one or two pages.

These caravans are only lived in for 9 months of the year, the occupants have to move out for December, January and February.

I thought perhaps someone out there who does them as part of their normal works might be able to shed some light on the matter.

Nobody I've met on the caravan site seems to know what they look like.

Not enough info.

I think I'll just let it be someone else's problem.

the thing that's got me baffled is they are specific about the title.

Who is "they"? What makes them the authority on electrical certificate titles?

Not enough info.

Well, wouldn't you be better off asking the site owners rather than us? It is very unlikely anyone here will know exactly what these certificates that they have look like.

Just make it look like whatever you want it to look like, if you want it on two pages, make it fit on two pages, and just put a heading at the top that says "Static caravan electrical safety certificate." However personally I would call it a "Static caravan electrical safety report."  (not certificate).  No different to people asking for a "Landlords electrical certificate". what they actually get is an EICR, but they still call it a landlords certificate for some reason.  As another side topic, I have always understood, electrical certificates relate to work you have done, (new or alteration), certifying with a signed declaration that your work complies with BS7671. Whereas the EICR, you are just reporting on the condition of something you have not designed or installed, you are giving your personal opinion as to how satisfactory or unsatisfactory it is for ongoing use, within the agreed limitations of the inspection and testing.

Doc H.

Who is "they"? What makes them the authority on electrical certificate titles?

Well, wouldn't you be better off asking the site owners rather than us? It is very unlikely anyone here will know exactly what these certificates that they have look like.

"They" are the site owners.

"They" only want their own bloke to do the work.

Why not ask on here?

Isn't it a good place to find electrical things out?

Just make it look like whatever you want it to look like, if you want it on two pages, make it fit on two pages, and just put a heading at the top that says "Static caravan electrical safety certificate." However personally I would call it a "Static caravan electrical safety report."  (not certificate).  No different to people asking for a "Landlords electrical certificate". what they actually get is an EICR, but they still call it a landlords certificate for some reason.  As another side topic, I have always understood, electrical certificates relate to work you have done, (new or alteration), certifying with a signed declaration that your work complies with BS7671. Whereas the EICR, you are just reporting on the condition of something you have not designed or installed, you are giving your personal opinion as to how satisfactory or unsatisfactory it is for ongoing use, within the agreed limitations of the inspection and testing.

Doc H.

Yes l agree with you.

I would have thought an eicr would provide the relevant info.

I think the caravan owners might getting misled by the site owners.

Perhaps l should do an eicr and bung it in and see what they say.

Just reading the recent posts  and thinking the same as The Doc  .    I take your point on  what the site owners are asking for  and someone is already doing them so lets stand back and think ...........there are only  EICs   (ELectrical Installatioin  Certificates) ....   Minor Works   and Condition reports  .  Only the last one applies.

So two questions , are they asking about the site power supplies, which have certain Regs in force ....or ...is it the manufacturer's installation within the caravan ?

And surely it has to be treated as a caravan if its made of metal & has wheels .

Just had a quick gander at the Regs for a caravan   .........doesn't say a lot TBH.

Just step back and keep it to the basics of what's needed. Remembering it will be the skilled person undertaking the inspection and testing who will fully understand what is needed. Although you will discuss with the client the extent and limitations relating to their installation. The client will be the unskilled person lacking the level of expertise to fully understand what is essential to evaluate the condition of the installation and what is the appropriate way to report any test results.  First point is to establish if the installation in question is excluded from the scope of BS7671, See list in regulation 110.2.  Then identifying what the circuit composition is, how they are fed from distribution boards, what methods of overload and shock protection are used, what the supply characteristics, including earth arrangements, to the distribution board are. As long as you can identify all of those then it should be quite straight forward to decide what tests are needed and what the expected results should be. If someone is not competent enough to identify if an installation is within BS7671 scope or what the installation consists of, or they allow a customer to confuse them about what is needed, then they are probably not sufficiently skilled to do a full inspection and test unsupervised at this stage..

Doc H. 

The new eicr from the niceic for installations of 100 amps and under has sections in it for transport and mobile homes  .

Its only the caravan and the supply lead that's to be tested.

The site supply is tested every year by a firm from up north so I'm told.

Judging by the state of the hook-ups I'm not so sure that's true.

I'm now thinking what's the difference between a caravan and a mobile home.

I'd say if it 'aint got wheels ...its a static home and they're the same as any house for testing etc .  

Nice one.

They are on concrete bases and sitting on jacks/stands.

They have a mains water supply and are connected to the main drains.

They're not moving anywhere.

Mobile homes I think.

There is another twist to this.

Our council have produced a document clarifying what legally meets the definition of a "caravan"  That is important, as a "caravan" can be built and sited without needing building regulations, and comes under different planning laws.

There is a growing trend for people building small homes, to build them under the legal definition of a a "caravan" To meet the legal requirement of being a "caravan" it does NOT need to be on wheels. It must be capable of being moved, but that can be moved by lifting it whole, or in parts with a crane onto a low loader.  Such a "caravan" can be built in exactly the same way as any other timber framed house.  I have wired a number of these and to be honest I treat them exactly the same as any other fixed house, even connecting them to a TNC-S earth, as unlike your normal caravan, these don't have metal chassis and aluminium sheet cladding