Powering 10 x 250W LED Drivers...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodneyTrotter

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I have 10 x HLG-240 1400A LED drivers, which will run at 250W each.

The problem is, I did not know about the surge upon starting each driver, apparantly I cannot start more than 2 drivers at once per UK plug socket...

I guess I could buy 10 different plug in timers, but I was wondering if there is a way I could do this using something like a Relay, or a Contactor, or perhaps a power surge protector plug extension...

What do you guys recommend.

Kind Regards

240.png.bf6828728fb5a4bef3db0d80864a63b7.png

What exactly are you doing? There are loads of ways of doing this, but without knowing the application it is rather difficult to suggest the most appropriate.

Hi Guys.

@Lurch

These 10 drivers connect to a big array of 50 COB LEDS, 5 LED Per 250w Driver.

@Andy™

That sounds like something similar I had in mind, Can you recommend some PLC's you would use?

@Andy™

Thanks alot! from breifly reading the spec for the shcneider it looks like it could do what I need.

These 10 drivers connect to a big array of 50 COB LEDS, 5 LED Per 250w Driver.

Not quite what I meant. You mentioned plug in timers, so where are they going, what are they doing etc.

As for the PLC option, I was going to suggest this but the mention of "plug in timers" had me doubting that this was for anything fixed/professional. I'd plump for the Siemens Logo, it will do it just fine as well. I used one recently for something pretty similar, with adjustable delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you read that in-rush current its for micro seconds. I installed a load of LED floodlights on a church a few years ago including 4 monster 300W units. I can't remember the total loading but they are all working fine off  relays.

Yes, but I fitted a panel with 11 20W power supplies and I needed to split it into 3 otherwise it would take the MCB out more often than not.

Yes, but I fitted a panel with 11 20W power supplies and I needed to split it into 3 otherwise it would take the MCB out more often than not.

Lurch, knowing you as I have come to on here, I am sure that you have a very valid sound reason for that, but I'm curious, why 11 off @ 20W, why not 1 off @ say 225/250W?

Just curious... ;)

Lurch, knowing you as I have come to on here, I am sure that you have a very valid sound reason for that, but I'm curious, why 11 off @ 20W, why not 1 off @ say 225/250W?

Just curious... ;)

Isolation. Essentially they were powering 10 custom devices each having isolated 4-20mA current loops and a Siemens Logo. I looked at using a larger supply and 10 DC-DC isolators but the costs were quite a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you read that in-rush current its for micro seconds. I installed a load of LED floodlights on a church a few years ago including 4 monster 300W units. I can't remember the total loading but they are all working fine off  relays.

Hey, Its good you pointed that out, I also spoke to a freind yesterday, and he told me that he has ran 8 of these exact same units, Plugged them all into one socket, and has no issues turning them on at once.

Perhaps I am trying to solve a problem which doesnt exist...

As I need to power 10 drivers and not 8, What do you guys think that I maybe lucky and all 10 will start up at once ok?

As I need to power 10 drivers and not 8, What do you guys think that I maybe lucky and all 10 will start up at once ok?

Maybe, maybe not. As I said above, it should be a concern and it might be a problem. You could plug them in and see what happens, might be OK, might not be, or might trip 1 in 10 times it is turned on.

Hey, Its good you pointed that out, I also spoke to a freind yesterday, and he told me that he has ran 8 of these exact same units, Plugged them all into one socket, and has no issues turning them on at once.

the numbers scared me when we did the lighting for the church. I have known LED stuff cause issues with welding contacts on cheap and nasty switch gear. Using anything half decent seems to prevent this.

Binky,

It is probably something to do with the gear, and that the higher quality stuff is probably AC23 rated, where as the cheap stuff is probably AC20 rated, at the same current.

It makes a big difference.

good switch gear is self cleaning in that it doesn't just make a direct contact, it contacts and slides a little to polish the contact surfaces and prevent pitting / lumps ( can't think of the proper word) on the contact surfaces.

Binky,

It is probably something to do with the gear, and that the higher quality stuff is probably AC23 rated, where as the cheap stuff is probably AC20 rated, at the same current.

It makes a big difference.

the amount of electric boiler contactors I have replaced in a certain 'apartment' block round here is shocking in that respect,

one apartment I went to [the first one I did as it happens] , had 5 replacements in a year, I replaced it with an AC23 and I havent heard back from them since [2 years ago], I've since done about 30 others off the back of that one, all the same generic AC20 contactors fitted to them, they were rated at iirc, AC20 15a, AC23 10a , and they were running 3kW immersion heaters,

I suppose they simply looked at the highest figure on the box and said, they'll do, :C

I've been replacing them with AC23 20a contactors,