Double oven and hob switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rikkip

Reaction score
Evening folks.

Wondered if anyone knew of a double cooker switch?

Just getting the wiring through for a new oven and hob ready for the Electrician.

We agreed 10mm twin & earth for the 7.2 kW hob and 6mm twin & earth for the 5 kW oven, both 

travelling 25m from the comsumer unit to the appliance.

Now that says to me that we need two switches, one for each circuit? If so does anyone know where I can get a double cooker switch?

Don't really want two switches side by side, or could anyone suggest an alternative solution?

Thanks, Rich.

Not aware of any 2G suitable isolation switches... Best you speak to your spark...

Ps.... Who did the loading and cable calcs? Your plumber?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only things suitable are somewhat industrial in nature and would look worse than 2 DP isolators side by side. If aesthetics is an issue just stick them in a cupboard.

Ps.... Who did the loading and cable calcs? Your plumber?

Made me snort!

Evening. Thanks for the responses. 

Got the cable sizes by running the load and distance through an online calculator, then texted the results to the Electrician.

He said that's what he would use so I guessed that was that???

I'm building on the house, part of which is a new kitchen, so putting through the wiring at this point seemed the way to go.

As I put in the original post the distance for both appliances to the consumer unit is 25m, Oven load is 5 kW and Hob load is 7.2 kW.

Don't want to cut corners on job or materials, if it's worth doing etc.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks again, Rich.

A quick answer would be  4.00mm  for the oven  and 6.00mm for the hob .

Perhaps 2 X 6.00mm  in case of upgrading .     Actually think 4.00mm , being not a popular size is quite expensive .  

Would I be able to run these two 6mm cables into a single cooker switch then split them again to each appliance, bit like a ring main?

no. you can double up on cables in certain circumstances, but in your case its not really practical and will make far more work

and if you did and each cable was on its own circuit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I might be able to get my single switch after all, ha!

So two circuits of 6mm each? And two switches.