Want to add a heated towel rail . . .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davyp1

Reaction score
When I first installed our bedroom en-suite a Towel Rail Radiator was fitted
with with an electric heating element and connected via a fused switch. 

I now wish to add this Towel rail to the house central heating system. 
Having removed the electric element from the Towel Rail and terminating it's feed, I have fitted a pair of Rad, valves.
I am proposing to tee into the pipe at one end of the Bedroom rad, and connect to one of the Towel Rad. valves.
Then tee in to the pipe at the other end of the Bedroom Rad. and connect to the remaining Towel Rad.

Am I correct?

Cheers . .

Yes as long as you pipe into the flow and return it will be ok.

If you pipe through the radiator it will be in series , it will still work , but will be in series.

I am assuming the rail is dual standard , and designed for your application.They usually are.

Yes as long as you pipe into the flow and return it will be ok.

If you pipe through the radiator it will be in series , it will still work , but will be in series.

I am assuming the rail is dual standard , and designed for your application.They usually are.
 Thanks for that.

Yes it's dual standard. I removed the valves initially and added the heating element and plug.

Cheers mate . . 

The only issue then is it will only ever be of any use when the central heating is on, no good for the warmer months, but I guess that was the reason you changed it to electric in the first place? 

The only issue then is it will only ever be of any use when the central heating is on, no good for the warmer months, but I guess that was the reason you changed it to electric in the first place? 

It was added as electric when the en-suite was formed to avoid draining off the system etc.

We then found we never used it, being cost conscious of the electric used.

The system now has to be drained off to extend to include a recent extension.

So I thought it prudent to do it at the same time.

It will not be a problem that the towel rail will not be heated in summer.

Thanks for the observation .

It was added as electric when the en-suite was formed to avoid draining off the system etc.

The system now has to be drained off to extend to include a recent extension.

So I thought it prudent to do it at the same time.

It will not be a problem that the towel rail will not be heated in summer.

Thanks for the observation .
If you are doing it yourself don't forget to add the Fernox ( inhibitor)when you refill the system.

Pardon me if I am trying to teach you to suck eggs. :)

Did you ever actually work out how much it would use? Not that much is the answer.

You can get valves that allow you to use the electric element as well, handy for the summer months. As you have the element and the wiring is in I would utilise the option.