EICR Question from Domestic Customer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy

Reaction score
When requesting an EICR, assuming it's done properly e.g.3+ hours for a 1960's terraced house with small ground floor kitchen extension. After carrying out the inspection the professional will return to office or wherever to draw up the finished report. Would it be usual then for him to submit an invoice to the customer before sending out that report. The customer and professional have not previously had any business dealings ? Obviously every job is different but does anybody have a ballpark figure for carrying out this work in the Lutterworth/ Rugby area of the country.Would be grateful for ANY comments.

Would it be usual then for him to submit an invoice to the customer before sending out that report.

It is usual, but frowned upon by some of the inspectorates, which I would agree with.

Obviously every job is different but does anybody have a ballpark figure for carrying out this work in the Lutterworth/ Rugby area of the country.

What do you usually charge?

My customer was charged  £383 for a 2 hour site visit, never received either report OR  invoice and is now being taken to court for  non payment. I do not carry out such work, hence seeking words of wisdom from you guys.

My customer was charged £383 for a 2 hour site visit,

Not exactly on the low end of the range. I'd have said £200 and up, £383 for an EICR is 'steep'.

never received either report OR invoice and is now being taken to court for non payment.

What is the issue? The high price or the non-receipt of invoice? If the latter then just explain the circumstances and pay up. Case closed/job done. If the former then speak to the contractor and voice the concerns.

I do not carry out such work, hence seeking words of wisdom from you guys.

Oh. Your profile says;

Skills:Domestic

Training:Short Course

Hi Lurch

Thanks for your reply.The issue is Non receipt of Invoice  AND non receipt of report....My original question was asking whether it is usual practise to send out an invoice and receiving payment BEFORE issuing the report ? The matter of whether the price is high is of secondary importance although your opinion  is interesting.Just to fill you in on a bit of detail, the customer at the time of requesting the report made clear that time was of the essence, as a baby was due in a few months hence getting all building work completed ASAP . He suspects that as the period shortly after report completion was interrupted by holidays and Xmas, it was just missed and the customer was left dangling. Customer received advice from other qualified electricians and went ahead with them.Now the original contractor wants his money.

Definitely have a word with the contractor and explain the situation.

If and I say IF the contractor takes the client to the small claims court, the judge will look at written statements from both parties before any "actual" court action.

The claiment is saying he's owed money

The home owner says he's not received the invoice or report...

The claiment will be ordered to provide both documents....

The home owner will be expected to pay up

end of case.

was the price agree'd before the working was (partially) done? if the report hasnt been provided then he has completed the job in which case no payment is (yet) due

and if there is no door step selling (or whatever it is these days) contract then he has even less chance of getting paid if it goes to court

Hi Andy, thank you for your reply, as far as I am aware, no price was agreed before any work commenced or indeed after the initial inspection was carried out. and no door step selling involved.

hmm...  Door Step Selling....

https://www.gov.uk/doorstep-selling-regulations

I thought that some aspect of the work the average domestic electrician undertakes, does fall within the remit of doorstop selling...

e.g. right to cancel and cooling off periods etc...

Right to cancel

You must tell the customer they can cancel their order up to 14 days after the contract was made. They don’t need to give a reason for canceling.

If you don’t tell the customer about their right to cancel, they can cancel at any time in the next 12 months. If you tell them about the right to cancel during these 12 months, they have 14 days to cancel from when you told them.

If you don’t tell the customer about their right to cancel, you could pay an unlimited fine and go to prison for up to 2 years.

Back to the initial point....

personally I would never expect a customer to pay before I had issued an EICR...

IMHO until the report is issued the job isn't finished..

However I would have also agreed before hand the typical costs (min & max) either in writing or text or verbally with the customer.

If I had any concerns about the customers ability to pay, I may request a part payment at the start of the job....

But full balance is only paid once the job... including paperwork is all complete.

I never pay the full bill at the supermarket until I have all the food and groceries in my own bag.....

So I wouldn't expect my customers to pay full price for only half a job either.

Guinness

This doorstep selling and right to cancel thing.

I believe it has occasionally caught someone out, but it has never bothered me.

So you give a customer a verbal quote, they accept, a week later you go and do the job. UNLESS they tell you not to do the job when you arrive, then they have not cancelled have they?  And surely they can't then cancel AFTER the work has been done?

Is the lesson here always wait 14 days between the quote and actually doing the work (Sorry guv the law says you must have a cooling off period so I can't start tomorrow) and always mention you can cancel within 14 days.

I always agree a price with the customer, or if I can't agree an actual price then I'll say "well it will not be over X amount" and if they're happy to accept that then work goes ahead, usually I try and make the final figure less than "X". That usually keeps them happy, with regards to any paperwork, that is always given out at the payment stage, so I do the work, they get the final price, then when I go to pick up the money I give them the paperwork. Some people will be a bit forgetful about paying once they've had the paperwork so by giving them it at the end it guarantees payment, but I never take payment and say I'll drop the paperwork off later, it's always paperwork on receipt of payment.

This doorstep selling and right to cancel thing.

I believe it has occasionally caught someone out, but it has never bothered me.

So you give a customer a verbal quote, they accept, a week later you go and do the job. UNLESS they tell you not to do the job when you arrive, then they have not cancelled have they?  And surely they can't then cancel AFTER the work has been done?

Is the lesson here always wait 14 days between the quote and actually doing the work (Sorry guv the law says you must have a cooling off period so I can't start tomorrow) and always mention you can cancel within 14 days.

This doorstep selling topic was discussed quite a while ago on the forum, one of the aspects it was trying to protect against was not just your typical double glazing salesman, but also rouge building traders pushing vulnerable customers into having 'urgent' repair work done on a very short timescale because they were only in the area for '2 days'. Such as we'll come and do your fence, roof, drive, patio work in the morning and we'll need paying in cash same day.  It gave the customer a legal right to a cooling off period, even if the work has been done because it would be the trader who was acting outside of the law.  If I recall from the previous discussions, although in essence the average electrician or plumber is not a 'doorstop' seller, almost anyone providing goods or services where the work is undertaken in a persons home, comes within part of the scope of the doorstep selling rules, specifically the cooling off period aspect for any planned alterations or additions to an installation. The exception being urgent fault maintenance repair work, where clearly something failed, a circuit with no power, burnt out shower switch, rat chewed cables or similar needs to be rectified ASAP. I would guess a planned EICR may well be considered a 'door step selling' transaction. I will have to try and dig out some of the old threads. However I doubt many good electricians are doing so little work that they can just drop and do a job next day. So a natural cooling off period would have occurred anyway, even if you didn't tell the customer they had one. 

Doc  H.     

Last edited by a moderator:
Sale of goods and services and data protection

Door to door sales

There’s certain information you must give your customers when selling door to door (also known as doorstep selling).

This includes the sale of goods and services to customers at:

their home

their workplace

another individual’s home

You must also follow the general rules for accepting returns or giving refunds.

Before an order is placed

You must provide:

your business name, contact details and address (if you’re selling for another company, you must also give their details)

an address for customer complaints, if this is different to your business address

a description of your goods or services and a reminder that any goods must be of reasonable quality and as described

the total price or how this will be calculated

how a customer can pay

delivery arrangements, costs and how long goods will take to arrive

the minimum length of their contract and billing period and the costs of any open-ended contracts or subscriptions

conditions for ending rolling contracts or contracts with no clear end date

how they can cancel and when they lose their right to cancel

a standard cancellation form, if they can cancel

if they will still need to pay reasonable costs for using a service after they cancel

amount and conditions for any deposits or other financial guarantees

what any digital content does and what software it works with (for example, the language it’s in or what operating system it can be used with)

the cost of using phone lines or other communication to complete the contract where it will cost more than the basic rate

if you’re part of a code of conduct or dispute resolution scheme, where they can find details of this

if you have a complaints handling policy, what this is

any conditions of guarantees, services or after sales assistance

The information must be easy to understand and on paper, in an email or in a form that the customer can save for future reference.

Right to cancel

You must tell the customer they can cancel their order up to 14 days after the contract was made. They don’t need to give a reason for cancelling.

If you don’t tell the customer about their right to cancel, they can cancel at any time in the next 12 months. If you tell them about the right to cancel during these 12 months, they have 14 days to cancel from when you told them.

If you don’t tell the customer about their right to cancel, you could pay an unlimited fine and go to prison for up to 2 years.

When a customer doesn’t have to pay

If you don’t tell the customer about certain costs in advance, they don’t have to pay them.

These include:

costs that are conditions of their right to cancel

extra costs for delivery

extra costs to return goods, for example when they are too large for normal post

After an order is placed

You must let the customer know that the contract is confirmed. This includes providing all the information you gave them before they placed the order, on paper, unless they agree to another format.

You must also:

deliver the goods as soon as possible and within 30 days, unless you’ve agreed otherwise with the customer

provide the service as soon as possible, unless you’ve agreed a time period with the customer

You may need a pedlar’s certificate if you sell goods door to door and carry them with you.

Exceptions

These rules don’t apply to:

goods and services worth £42 or less

bus, train, flight and other tickets for passenger travel

NHS prescriptions and treatment (free and paid for)

financial services, for example pensions, mortgages, credit

the construction of new buildings (but not extensions)

food and drink supplied regularly (like milkmen)

gambling

package holidays, timeshares and holiday clubs

contracts to let a property the customer will live in, for example renting a house or flat (although they do apply to estate agents’ marketing services)

goods bought from a vending machine

using a payphone or paying to use an internet connection (for example, at an internet café)

Last updated: 27 March 2017

Thanks guys, ALL your comments above are gratefully received, and very informative.especially regarding the area concerning customers rights.What I do take from the above is that there is no best practise regarding payment before or after supplying  report to the customer.

No such thing as "best practice" about how or when anyone gets paid. it is purely a mutually agreeable contract between a buyer and a seller. If either party hasn't formally agreed what the terms of payment are then it could be said one or both of them are not really on the ball.  But as long as a method is agreed then that is best practice for that transaction. I know that if I order some slabs from our local builders merchant, they will deliver and I pay the driver. Or if I use a mobile tyre fitter, they do the work then I pay them once I have received all the goods. But if you order a kitchen from B&Q they typically ask for the money paid up front. or a non standard part for you car at the local garage they may ask for payment up front. Its all down to individual agreed contract terms. If an electrician has no payment terms, or fails to tell the customer of their terms they are a bit unprofessional in my opinion.

Doc H.    

I agree a price £200 or more

I complete the EICR

I send customer as a single package containing

• Quote for any remedial work required
  • Invoice for EICR
They get the usual time to pay if they don't pay up (only had a couple) on time it's a threat of claims court with the reminder which usually does the trick.