Interesting little domestic board....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what sort of age is a board like this... :C

IMG_4870.JPG

Bottom two Pyros are incoming supply....

one feeds top switch & 4 fuses

other feeds bottom two switches and fuses..

Both single core with sheath providing Neutral return..  (and Earth)

Distinct lack of separate Earth and Neutral bars!  

{may be tricky getting an RCD not to trip on those :unsure:  }

Its an old council house..

There is a second Wylex box supplying some circuits (PVC T&E) on an extension that was added on..

But some of those top fuses are still supplying cooker, some sockets, and some lights... 

Pendant light opened up..

IMG_4872.JPG

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a good non-combustible enclosure, and non-combustible cables for that mater. So no worries with 421.1.201.

Doc H. 

2BA's, my local wholesalers used to sell them. 

I have a stash for emergencies...

Worked in a ex council place where upstairs it was metric and downstairs was imperial :eek: :lol:

Watch out for asbestos flash pads or tea strainers as steptoe used to call em...

Really?

4BA. M3.5 equiv

2BA M4 equiv

0 BA M6 equiv

or as near as matters

of course I could be wrong, see wife for details
My old mum had a cracking saying, whenever she knew one of us was wrong, which in my case was usually after she'd had a few drinks, she'd say, "well it's not often you're right but you're wrong this time" , always makes me laugh thinking back on it now.

Renovating some old switchgear I ordered a set of various BA nuts, bolts, etc, I got a metric set. I kept them and put in a new order, guess what arrived. I had to go to the wholesalers trade counter to be told “we don’t stock BA stuff so we sent an alternative”

Renovating some old switchgear I ordered a set of various BA nuts, bolts, etc, I got a metric set. I kept them and put in a new order, guess what arrived. I had to go to the wholesalers trade counter to be told “we don’t stock BA stuff so we sent an alternative”
We (me and my former boss) used to refer to this as imperial (an obsolete remnant from a distant bygone era). If it was non-metric, it was imperial and that was that. It took a toolmaker to tell us that there were different types of imperial threads. The only way to encounter this weird sorcery was to drill and retap to a bigger metric size.

My brain can't comprehend inches, furlongs, thous etc

I haven't even got a tape measure with imperial markings on it. Not used one for years, not that I ever used the imperial side, it just got in the way and made things more inaccurate!.

We (me and my former boss) used to refer to this as imperial (an obsolete remnant from a distant bygone era). If it was non-metric, it was imperial and that was that. It took a toolmaker to tell us that there were different types of imperial threads. The only way to encounter this weird sorcery was to drill and retap to a bigger metric size.

Theres a few different imperial threads to choose from, you need one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zeus-Precision-Engineers-Metric-Data-Book-Chart-Charts-Reference-Sizes-Tables-/310893777034

I had one a few years back, but I haven't seen it in a while, at the moment, I am not sure whether the point at which it disappeared corresponded with moving house, or changing van as they both happened within about a month or so of each other. But I guess quarter to two isn't really the time to be turning the house upside down looking for it! I haven't Seen my copy of https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newnes-Electrical-Pocket-Book-Books/dp/0750647582  

since about the same time. hmmm

I have the infuriating (so I'm told) habit of mixing my measurements,

I'll measure something at 3' 8" 4mm ,or, 7m 4" ,  apparently some people don't like that, i just measure to the nearest mark on my tape,