DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
DRW

Gas Emergency Stop buttons - wiring??

13 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted

Hi,

I need to re-site an existing push stop button which is fine as it is moving closer to its source but I also need to fit an additional button.

There is an extraction monitor unit box that allows/prevents gas flow that is close to where the new stop button will be located so i want to take the feed from there but could anybody point me in the correct direction where to find the correct wiring info please....I am a sparky but have never done these before and would like to go in armed rather than thinking on my feet completely.

Ta

Dave

ID: 2   Posted

Hi,

I have some work to do on a commercial kitchen that has Emergency Stop buttons for the gas supply. I need to re-site an existing push stop button which is fine as it is moving closer to its source but I also need to fit an additional button.

There is an extraction monitor unit box that allows/prevents gas flow that is close to where the new stop button will be located so i want to take the feed from there but could anybody point me in the correct direction where to find the correct wiring info please....I am a sparky but have never done these before and would like to go in armed rather than thinking on my feet completely.

Ta

Dave

ID: 3   Posted (edited)

Those buttons are usually wired in series DRW , you could series it up in the panel . It could be an NC circuit also.    Try googling the panel though , you may find the Manufacturer's instructions .

A word to the wise ......  do not try guessing how its wired , it has to be right .

I take it that , naturally, there are no As Fitted drawings on the site? 

Edited by Evans Electric

ID: 4   Posted

1 minute ago, Evans Electric said:

I take it that , naturally, there are no As Fitted drawings on the site? 

Hahaha - no there aren't. Tbh I'm not sure if google will know the answer on the main panel - it's possibly as old as me, but i will look.

ID: 5   Posted

Well as long as it  is'nt as old as me you may strike lucky .

ID: 6   Posted

hehe.

Heavy duty pvc conduit is ok I'm assuming. The existing is all in Steel. I'll take the cable size needed as the same as installed.

ID: 7   Posted

if the existing is in steel its probably in steel for a reason and PVC may not be suitable

ID: 8   Posted (edited)

Possibly the effect of heat in a commercial kitchen on PVC conduit would have it drooping all over the place. 

I'm trying to remember ...the gas shut-offs I've done  were a low voltage , DC  solenoid valve at the input with , as you say , a control panel , emergency stops, and sometimes a steel wire with soldered links at certain places,  the wire holds up a weighted handle on the gas valve , if solder melts , the handle drops .   

Edited by Evans Electric

ID: 9   Posted

Yes , there will be a gas interlock system connected to the extractors . You will need to know the system . Temp shut off built into the controller .

They are not all straight forward.

Yes they are as Ruston says , you need to take care .      Just remembered the last one we did was to fit a test key to the fire alarm ( which also knocked the gas out) .  Wire a key in so that the weekly test didn't shut the gas off but a full fire alarm would.

As its an additional button, could you not look at the existing button and see what that connects to?

Topics merged as they are the same Q by the same poster.

Yep, I think it's all good. A 10min mooch today revealed which connection in the main control panel is affected so I can just series connect the addition in line a Robert should be my fathers brother!

thanks for the pointers