Gas Emergency Stop buttons - wiring??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRW

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to re-site an existing push stop button which is fine as it is moving closer to its source but I also need to fit an additional button.

There is an extraction monitor unit box that allows/prevents gas flow that is close to where the new stop button will be located so i want to take the feed from there but could anybody point me in the correct direction where to find the correct wiring info please....I am a sparky but have never done these before and would like to go in armed rather than thinking on my feet completely.

Ta

Dave

Hi,

I have some work to do on a commercial kitchen that has Emergency Stop buttons for the gas supply. I need to re-site an existing push stop button which is fine as it is moving closer to its source but I also need to fit an additional button.

There is an extraction monitor unit box that allows/prevents gas flow that is close to where the new stop button will be located so i want to take the feed from there but could anybody point me in the correct direction where to find the correct wiring info please....I am a sparky but have never done these before and would like to go in armed rather than thinking on my feet completely.

Ta

Dave

Those buttons are usually wired in series DRW , you could series it up in the panel . It could be an NC circuit also.    Try googling the panel though , you may find the Manufacturer's instructions .

A word to the wise ......  do not try guessing how its wired , it has to be right .

I take it that , naturally, there are no As Fitted drawings on the site? 

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe.

Heavy duty pvc conduit is ok I'm assuming. The existing is all in Steel. I'll take the cable size needed as the same as installed.

Possibly the effect of heat in a commercial kitchen on PVC conduit would have it drooping all over the place. 

I'm trying to remember ...the gas shut-offs I've done  were a low voltage , DC  solenoid valve at the input with , as you say , a control panel , emergency stops, and sometimes a steel wire with soldered links at certain places,  the wire holds up a weighted handle on the gas valve , if solder melts , the handle drops .   

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes , there will be a gas interlock system connected to the extractors . You will need to know the system . Temp shut off built into the controller .

They are not all straight forward.

Yes they are as Ruston says , you need to take care .      Just remembered the last one we did was to fit a test key to the fire alarm ( which also knocked the gas out) .  Wire a key in so that the weekly test didn't shut the gas off but a full fire alarm would.

As its an additional button, could you not look at the existing button and see what that connects to?

Yep, I think it's all good. A 10min mooch today revealed which connection in the main control panel is affected so I can just series connect the addition in line a Robert should be my fathers brother!

thanks for the pointers