Dimplex Duo300i Storage Heaters.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugbyguy1

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I wonder if any of you have been involved in fixing any of these items ?.

I would like to know more about the linkage between the PCB's as Dimplex say you need to change both PCB's ( Power & Controller )

if one is at fault ?.

These items are costly and it's nice to try and fix things if possible. Cheers.

Hi

The advice is correct - both PCBs must be replaced at the same time. This is the Power Supply Unit Board AND the top control PCB. If the voltage from the PSU PCB is out of spec and just the top control is changed, it will be killed on power up. Likewise, if the top control PCB has a fault with it, it can then trigger a fault with the PSU PCB. You can be playing an even more expensive game of whack-a-mole by just doing one board and chancing it. Always change both together!

I declined to repair 2 of these due to the cost of the replacement pcb's. My customer instead got Dimplex out, and they did the complete repair for what it would have cost me to just buy the new boards.

Just had a guy ring up about a pair of cordless telephones, ordinary things nothing special. Apparently he's had them for ages, a couple of months back one wouldn't charge, now the other one has gone the same way. I told him to just buy another set, they're less than 20 quid in Argos, but he wanted me to go and look at them, even looking is going to cost more than 20 quid, if they need new batteries then by the time we're done it's going to be well over 60 quid to repair them, why don't some people just replace things?

Or just fit new batteries? Don't necessarily need to buy a complete new set of phones.

Hi there folks,
Customer had another unit not used. So changed controller PCB which is the indicator PCB as well on top of unit.
This PCB gets very hot due to it's position and uses a Pic micro. This baby was dead !. Changed and all is well.
Please note the first PCB is power, this gives out the 5v and can damage the PCB controller which is why Dimplex recommend changing both.
I would not bother trying to fix these items unless customer had a spare unit, they have made them too complicated and costly. Thanks for all info.

Or just fit new batteries? Don't necessarily need to buy a complete new set of phones.
The problem with new batteries is the guy wouldn't know where to get them, or how to fit them! so therefore a new set of phones would be cheaper, I'm sure even he could manage a trip to Argos. lol

The problem with new batteries is the guy wouldn't know where to get them, or how to fit them! so therefore a new set of phones would be cheaper, I'm sure even he could manage a trip to Argos. lol

A new phone won't be much use if he can't fit batteries, as the new phone will probably have a new set of batteries in the box that need fitting into the handset.

Doc H.

It's been quite a few years since I have had a cordless phone that didn't take AA or AAA batteries.
Yes but you're not him, he's totally daft, he's been paying £600 a year to rent a bog basic alarm system (3 pirs 1 contact) that's "monitored", it goes off, they ring him and tell him, end of! I told him he could have bought the same thing off me for that money, and it would ring him direct, he couldn't believe it, he thought an alarm with an auto dialler cost thousands!

The problem with the phone is he's incapable of sourcing and fitting a battery, trouble is I'd feel like I was ripping him off charging him about 50 quid to sort it. I'd have to drive to his works, find out what type of battery, get one then  go back and fit it, it's all time and time is money but I'd still feel guilty doing it.

he's been paying £600 a year to rent a bog basic alarm system (3 pirs 1 contact) that's "monitored", it goes off, they ring him and tell him, end of! I told him he could have bought the same thing off me for that money, and it would ring him direct, he couldn't believe it, he thought an alarm with an auto dialler cost thousands!

Yes, but one that rings him direct isn't monitored. (Not that I am advocating paying £600 a year for a monitored alarm, but a dialler isn't the same as monitoring).

Yes, but one that rings him direct isn't monitored. (Not that I am advocating paying £600 a year for a monitored alarm, but a dialler isn't the same as monitoring).
Neither is this apparently, some pikeys broke in and cut the phone lines, they alarm people knew nothing, it's just a bog standard communicator,

Neither is this apparently, some pikeys broke in and cut the phone lines, they alarm people knew nothing, it's just a bog standard communicator,

monitored alarms also poll so a comms fault would be known and reported to site / installer. wish i could get away with charging £600 per year. nice profit ontop of ARC costs

Bit of a waste of time this site if folks hijack the topic !!!.

See avatar <--

Also, your question was dealt with and answered, so although I do in general agree with your point it didn't detract too much from the original query.

If you stick around you will notice that most people here are actually elderly and just waffle on about loads of random nonsense at the first opportunity.

divert2_zpsd2b19788.jpg.8b816cf64fb73f1e0d55e9a71fd445f8.jpg