Another newbie

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Been living in France for the last 13 years working as self-employed Sparks and jack-of-all-trades. Got back 2 weeks ago with wife and 2 kids (born there) so still finding my feet and trying to get my head back into UK regs and ways of working. It's mighty different. Looking forward to asking for advice... I think I'll need it!!

Please feel welcome here Wanderer , things have changed , are you aware how much ?  

I see you list skills as Domestic , thats where the changes are greatest  , you may be having to spend some hard earned cash to get up to date  I fear . 

Have you started work here yet ?

Can I suggest you raise the subject in  " Electrician Talk "   or "General Chat"   below . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Evans Electric and thanks for the heads up. Yes I am aware of the changes and have ear-marked some of the moving-back money to retrain. The difference I was referring to is in the apparent simplicity of the UK system v French where every appliance ( be that cooker, fridge, washing machine, dish washer, tumble, hot water tank, extractor fan, individual rads etc) has to have its own radial circuit direct from the disboard. You can imagine the size of the board and the number of breakers. An RCD can protect no more than 8 circuits so systems having 4 RCDs is not unusual. Ring mains are illegal and the number of sockets and lighting points per radial is severely limited (8 on 1.5mm2, 12 on 2.5mm2). The last full re-wire I did (3 bed) had 4 RCDs, 28 breakers and cost the client almost 8,500 euros. Different indeed!

Welcome Home Wanderer, 

Out of interest is the move back related to the Brexit issues, just curious to know how it effects those fellow Brits abroad? 

As for the regs, well they're ever changing. 

Hi Sharpend and thanks for the welcome. My wife and I have been planning to return for the last 3 years so no, it wasn't Brexit that triggered the return. However, it has become apparent to us since the Brexit vote that maybe the decision was timely. For the 8 years I was self-employed (for the first 5 years I converted one of the barns into a 2-bed gite, landscaped extensively with the 1 1/2 ton mini digger I bought and developed the rental business) my client base was around 40% French, 60% other (Brits, Dutch, Australians, Irish and Americans) but from Brexit onwards the French leads decreased dramatically. It might have been a coincidence but then it might not....? The people we left behind are anticipating an interesting next few years, that's for sure but for me, I'm just glad to be nearer family and to be speaking English again!