Solar PV beginner looking for help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossek9

Reaction score
Hello all, I was directed here via one of your members who is also on the buildhub forum.

I am looking for some guidance on a 3kw system for our new build but to be honest I am a bit at a loss as to what is good kit and what is rubbish.

I have done some reading and would like an in-roof kit and would also like a diverter to heat our hot water.

The one quote I have back so far was £4.2k although this would not include the diverter and also they company did not actually state what equipment they would be using.

Any help on what I should be looking further into would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

I've also come here from Buildhub as I'm also going to install in-roof PV on my new build and being tight, I'm looking for guidance on what Is the best value for money kit. Also with the low FiT, am I better doing it myself or are there any advantages in going down the MSC route?

I have done some reading and would like an in-roof kit and would also like a diverter to heat our hot water.

How is that going to work?  The solar panels on here generate electricity, I believe you would want solar water heating to do that.

not if you have a Solic 200 you don't, it diverts excess solar energy to the immersion is is definetly one of the best gadgets ever invented. Costs around £200+ vat. Don't buy batteries, they don't pay for themselves.

£4.2k seems quite reasonable for an in-roof 3kW system, but I suspect that it would be the cheapest stuff around. I would opt for Solarworld panels (German) very good low light performance and reasonable prices. Inverter wise I would tend to stick to SMA, German and a bit pricey, but very good reliable equipment, or if you want to save a few £, the only Chinese inverter I would recomend is Samil, basically because it is designed in Austrailia. I've fitted quite a few of these and they seem pretty good so far. Fronius and Steca also make good inverters.

As a new build in-roof is definetly the way to go forward, it costs a little more, but looks much smarter and some of the extra cost is off-set by savins on slates etc etc. GSE is my preferred in roof mounting system. This is a French system, where in-roof gets higher FiT than on-roof, so the French have developed the best in-roof systems.

I agree with binky. I've used the GSE kit and it seems very good. Generally goes in easy too. Especially new build as you fit it before tiling. Again agree with binky on panels / inverters, I would add solar edge to the list too though. But quite costly. Depending on install scenario, fits could get you a couple of hundred quid a year if you're lucky and that's including export.

not if you have a Solic 200 you don't, it diverts excess solar energy to the immersion is is definetly one of the best gadgets ever invented. Costs around £200+ vat. Don't buy batteries, they don't pay for themselves.

£4.2k seems quite reasonable for an in-roof 3kW system, but I suspect that it would be the cheapest stuff around. I would opt for Solarworld panels (German) very good low light performance and reasonable prices. Inverter wise I would tend to stick to SMA, German and a bit pricey, but very good reliable equipment, or if you want to save a few £, the only Chinese inverter I would recomend is Samil, basically because it is designed in Austrailia. I've fitted quite a few of these and they seem pretty good so far. Fronius and Steca also make good inverters.

As a new build in-roof is definetly the way to go forward, it costs a little more, but looks much smarter and some of the extra cost is off-set by savins on slates etc etc. GSE is my preferred in roof mounting system. This is a French system, where in-roof gets higher FiT than on-roof, so the French have developed the best in-roof systems.

Thanks for the reply. I think regardless we will be buying a diverter but have also looked at a sunamp although not sure if budget will allow for that.

I have requested the details of the equipment that is being proposed from the company that quoted me £4.2k so will post back here with the kit and hopefully people in the know will advise if it is any good.

I've also come here from Buildhub as I'm also going to install in-roof PV on my new build and being tight, I'm looking for guidance on what Is the best value for money kit. Also with the low FiT, am I better doing it myself or are there any advantages in going down the MSC route?

I'm keen to know this as well to be honest. 

the FiT maybe low, but you still have legal obligations towards the DNO to notify solar has been installed, they may not like a DiY installion? If you register the system with MCS via an MCS registered installer, you don't just get the FiT you also get an additional 4.89p for 50% of what is generated (unless you have an export meter fitted in which case it will be 4.89p for every kWh exported - it all helps pay for the system.

I would suggest you find a good, local, small MCS registered installer who is probably an electrician as well.

I agree with binky. I've used the GSE kit and it seems very good. Generally goes in easy too. Especially new build as you fit it before tiling. Again agree with binky on panels / inverters, I would add solar edge to the list too though. But quite costly. Depending on install scenario, fits could get you a couple of hundred quid a year if you're lucky and that's including export.
  I'm not keen on Solaredge - I've seen too many issues on scholl systems we monitor, plus when they do fail you have to access the roof to repair, which is a PITA. Solaredge is only really good for systems with shading issues. JInko have just launched a panel with MPPTs built into the panels, which gives cell level shade optimisation - 60 cells per panel, so that's 60 times more optimisation than an optimiser.

Ok so I have recieved another quote in for the system.

Details below - 

12 x 285 Solar World All Black panels

IRFTS Easy Roof in roof system

Generation Meter Landis Gyr single phase

Sofar 3680 Inverter 2 x MPT

4mm DC cable x 12m

DC Isolator x1

6mm 3 core 12m

This would provide a 3.42kw system via an MCS installer and registered for FIT. The price came back at £3.5k + vat (although I wont be paying the vat due to it being zero rated)

Can someone in the know advise if the inverter and meter are any good? I know the panels have been recommended as has the easy roof system so happy enough with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't give you the steam off my wee for that inverter, insist on a European inverter, but not ABB.

Meter is fairly irrelevant, they have to be OFGEM approved.

the roofing system looks the same as GSE - could be a re-branded product? These tray systems are superior to the other offerings, which seem to be based on damp-proof membranes.

Last edited by a moderator:
daft question, I take it you are putting solar on for the carbon emmissions targets rather than because you want them? Have you considerd that a larger system might be better for you? You could effectively cover the entire roof if the roof profile is suitable?

Thanks for that, I will speak to the installer about the inverter.

I am putting in solar as i would like to save a little on electricity and am planning to get an electric car (can charge it for free at work as well).

The reason for a smaller system is simply due to cost as our house build is costing more than expected.

My wife works 9-5 m-f although I work shifts so not really sure how much of the generated electricity we can actually use. Should I be looking to install a larger system? Our west facing roof could probably take another 10 panels.

My wife works 9-5 m-f although I work shifts so not really sure how much of the generated electricity we can actually use.

Unvented hot water cylinder and a solar immersion controller (pretty sure some of the better inverters can do this automatically in some fashion, Samil maybe do this (memory hazy, remember looking at something a while ago)). Anyway, the unvented cylinder will keep water hot for several days so you can make decent use of any excess energy produced. The battery systems are a waste of time, considering the price. You'd be better of building your own battery system if that was a consideration.