Can I sign off under Part P without testing qualification??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashby_Elec

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently looking at training courses to become an electrician professionally, I have experience on an amateur basis but want to expand my knowledge. The course I am currently looking at includes my 17th and Part P, but in order to work professionally and be able to "sign off" my own work I would assume I need at least the C&G 2392 Inspection which does not seem to be included in the course I am looking at, I am finding the lack of information confusing and not really taking what the training provider says as gospel as they are obviously sales people trying to sell me a course

Is that assumption correct or is just having the Part P and 17th Edition qualifications enough for self certify under Part P?

Thanks

Is that assumption correct or is just having the Part P and 17th Edition qualifications enough for self certify under Part P?

Thanks

:slap

part p is a building regulation. the 'course' is to get more money from you and will not allow you to sign off your own work. go look at one of the scams (sorry, scheme) website and see what their minimum requirements are.

That's exactly what I thought Andy, thanks for that

I'm looking to get involved with Stroma but their website is far from clear in terms of what they want for Part P scheme

I'm looking to get involved with Stroma but their website is far from clear in terms of what they want for Part P scheme

You'll find Stroma will vary entry requirements a bit depending on experience and skill level, hence the vague website.

Thanks for that, the hardest part has been trying to find my way through the BS the training company have given me, finally got to the bottom of it I think. It seems to be a case of them gi the bare basic but then pay them again to do the C&G 2392 to be able to actually test the circuits. Think its time to look for another company to train with

Where in Wales are you Ash? why not try your local college? I am fairly certain that the C&G 2365 Level 2 and 3 is your first port of call, then your 17th Edition Wiring regs, then your testing and inspecting suit of exams. If you can get your NVQ3 and AM2 done whilst doing your 2365 even better. If you down this route, there is nothing wrong with you doing your 17th Edition whilst still doing your 2365.

Andy Guinness

I'm in Harlech, North Wales, thanks for the advice it may be the best way forward seem to be so many "private" companies out to fleece you

Dan

Give the Scheme you are interested in joining a telephone call and ask them to confirm their entry requirements. it should save you any miss-informed choices. As you say some training companies are looking at their own profits, (student numbers they can squeeze money out of), as they are businesses. Some of their information will be applicable to your needs, but some will be more applicable to their needs.  So keep that pinch of salt close whilst checking out courses provided.

Doc H.

FWIW I think that Stroma want to see your previous experience for 3 years.....

Initially the NIC domestic scheme wanted to see two years of trading experience before being eligible to join. I don't think that is still the case. Which is why a telephone call may be best to get up-to-date answers.

Doc H.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Stroma, and due to the number of years I have in the trade I didn't require as many formal qualifications as they originally specified, all cleared up with a quick phone call as suggested previously. 

Latest posts