registering

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ag95

Reaction score
hello, I was recently asked by a property development company how to go about registering to have an electrical division. Most of the work that would be done is in house so not necessarily for jobs going out to tender etc. it would be mostly domestic and commercial but they would want to be able to turn their hand to small parts of industrial work if needed on jobs. Work included would be testing flats for handovers/ change of tenancy, attending to faults brought up by tenants, wiring of new builds pat testing. As far was I know the pat testing is just a case of keeping in houser records but am unsure the easiest/ cheapest way of doing everything else. Any help would be mutely appreciated.

Well if you are qualified then register yourself with one of the Part P scheme operators or sign up for fully approved status............if you are not then employ one and register.

Isn't the OP up on ProDave's side of the border....

e.g.   No Part P up north..  where England ends and the Whiskey making and Kilt wearing begins?

:C

Guinness

Could it be a bit of 50/50 ..

Six of one and half dozen of the other....

Some Part-P...   Some None Part-P...

Bit of a dogs dinner so to speak!

:popcorn

The idea is to have one in house electrician and where I am we do use part p. What schemes would you suggest. If we register with then, does that include registering part l?

The idea is to have one in house electrician and where I am we do use part p. What schemes would you suggest. If we register with then, does that include registering part l?
Don't know any electricians who worry about Part L TBH  .   I think thats the architect's or designer's problem.

If its all domestic ag95  you just need to register for submitting stuff to Local Building Control  .  Stroma is half the cost of the others  but insurance companies only recognise NICEIC .    They don't know that the schemes were expanded  .

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know any electricians who worry about Part L TBH  .   I think thats the architect's or designer's problem.

If its all domestic ag95  you just need to register for submitting stuff to Local Building Control  .  Stroma is half the cost of the others  but insurance companies only recognise NICEIC .    They don't know that the schemes were expanded  .
We had the NI thing at the farm, I'm the maintenance manager on a part time basis, when we expanded the grain store side we were offered some "free friendly help" by our insurers. they'd send one of their bods over to spend a day looking round to "make sure you comply with all relevant regs, HSE etc" . What it was, was actually an excuse for them to snoop,  anyway she went all over the site and then we retired to the office, that's when the fun started.

She wanted to see all the paperwork, coshh sheets ,RAMS etc regarding the handling of the chemicals, then she moved on to fire plans, incident management and so on.

Eventually she enquired as to why we had no paperwork for the electrics, "they're all in that file in front of you" I replied, "the one marked electrical certificates". we keep a folder with all the test sheets, inspection dates, and PAT logs in!

She looked at the paperwork, "oh these are no good, they need to be done by an NIC registered electrician" she said, I glared at her, "Hang on a minute, there's nothing in law say's you have to do that, now unless you want to start talking about restrictive trade practices, which is a different matter" I snarled.

She closed the file, "I'll ask when I get back to the office", a couple of weeks later she returned with some stuff she'd promised to bring, we had another meeting and the subject of the electrics wasn't mentioned so I brought it up. "oh that, yes it's fine" she replied, "as long as the paperwork is up to date, and the person doing the work is competent then we're happy".

So much for a "bit of help to make sure you comply with relevant regulations", I knew it was a snooping exercise, funny how she changed her attitude when she realised I wasn't falling for her BS!  

Unfortunately, it isn't illegal for insurance companies to specify, it would not be restrictive trade.

Insurance companies are profit making organisations they exist only to make profits for their shareholders, thus, whilst I like what you did Phil, and I wish that they would not do such things, legally they can.

It is only public sector organisations that cannot legally specify such things.

It is only public sector organisations that cannot legally specify such things.
They did it for years though , didn't they , when there was only NICEIC on the scene .

We used to work for  West Midlands County Council , West Mids Police , The Probation Service , NHS , MOD,    B,ham City Council,  Solihull Council,  all specifying NICEIC at the time .

The wonders of modern technology  Eh!!. 

Did ye teck the high road or the low road to get there ?        ( I believe that is a reference to someone being brown bread in the song  )  

Is'nt it beautiful  Sidey ,  its like Wales but with added midges  ....any sign of Prodave passing by ?