Qualifications ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I asked this before but wondered if we could get it clear ,  mainly in respect of giving out the correct information .

This question is asked a lot these days ......... due I suspect to the lack of proper apprenticships being offered and more mature trainees entering the system .

So :

What are the basic qualifications we/ I should recommend when asked on here ?       (I don't know because they keep changing and adding stuff over the years)

Theres a post in "Part P"  where   Zeespark gives the following ....

1)  C&Gs  2365  Levels 2 &3 .

2)  17th Edition  Regs .

3)  Test & Inspection .

4)  NVQ 3

5)  AM2 

And in my opinion the best advice would be to contact your local college . Would others agree with that ?

Am I right in saying that the NVQ3  requires you to be working as a trainee etc  with a contractor to gain practical knowledge?

And if you've done all the others , what does the AM2 consist of ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point Sharpie  but not everyone goes down the JIB route these days .    Do they show all the Quallies required ?     Do they offer any help and advice ? 

I get the feeling that there are far more  Short Course trainees than old fashioned apprentices  and are under the JIB radar.      I don't remember all these private skill training companies back in the day .     The only one like it that I remember was a construction industry training place in West Brom ....now gone .   CITB  based I think . 

@eodneil had a very informative post on this, with him being a training provider it was clearly up to date. 

Currently struggling to find where he posted it. 

Although a quick look at his profile suggests he may no longer be active on the forum. 

Good point Sharpie  but not everyone goes down the JIB route these days .    Do they show all the Quallies required ?     Do they offer any help and advice ? 

I get the feeling that there are far more  Short Course trainees than old fashioned apprentices  and are under the JIB radar.      I don't remember all these private skill training companies back in the day .     The only one like it that I remember was a construction industry training place in West Brom ....now gone .   CITB  based I think . 
CITB, ah, remember them fondly, way back in the midst of time I done a ibe day course with them, an Introduction to testing and inspection,

They gave us a booklet of sorts that was a very good reference (I still have it), so good in fact that the boss copied a page out of it for everyone else in the firm, it was a ready reckoner table to work out cable lengths depending in the resistance readings you measured, or the other way around, a good method of double checking expected readings against actual measured readings. 

I have had plenty of problems with city and guilds in tracking down my original certificates, these go back as far as 1976 to more recently 1991. They have lost all my records!! It was a good job that the JIB had details of my qualifications and from a young lad of 16 I had a JIB membership number. The problem apparently is because another bloke with my name has similar qualifications, when the city and guilds transferred to computers they thought that they had duplicated an input so deleted one!! MINE!

When I questioned why did I have to give my national insurance number if you did not need it, they said that the data transfer company were brought in to speed up the process and transfer files, they did not cross reference for two people who had the same qualifications and the same name.

I have had plenty of problems with city and guilds in tracking down my original certificates, these go back as far as 1976 to more recently 1991. They have lost all my records!! It was a good job that the JIB had details of my qualifications and from a young lad of 16 I had a JIB membership number. The problem apparently is because another bloke with my name has similar qualifications, when the city and guilds transferred to computers they thought that they had duplicated an input so deleted one!! MINE!

When I questioned why did I have to give my national insurance number if you did not need it, they said that the data transfer company were brought in to speed up the process and transfer files, they did not cross reference for two people who had the same qualifications and the same name.
Oh,

Surely in this day and age you ate in an excellent position,

Where there's blame there's a claim

Get the no win no fees guys in the case. 

In all seriousness, that about one of the only cases where I would sue for negligence, after all, its what puts food on your table