Underfloor heat mat connection crimps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC82

Reaction score
Hi,

First time post. I'm hoping for help finding connection crimps for carbon underfloor heating mats. I need to cut a mat to avoid an obstruction and then join the copper strips of the 2 mats to continue the conductivity. I'm looking for the crimps as shown in the picture. Does anyone know the exact name for these and where I might be able to purchase in the UK?

thanks for your help.
pro_contents_updated2.jpg.84e365cb42c1aed08edacf2af77be7de.jpg

I'd imagine the manufacturer might be your best bet. No idea what kit that is. Where is the pic from?

As far as I am aware these mats are cut to your plan and supplied wired . 

I have never seen that set up either.

Thanks for the responses. My kit is supplied by handy heat. The pic is from a company called Flexel. 

My kit was supplied cut to size but I didn't factor in a stair support beam which slightly impedes the path of one of the mats so I want to cut and reconnect the mat using the connectors in the top pic. Flexel don't supply them on their own and handy heat don't either so I'm just looking to find out what these clips are called.

Vid below shows a similar kit being connected. (Crimps at about 3 mins in)

Does anyone know the name of them?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/Rt8w6TQKx8U

Sorry no Idea.  I don't think I would want to go down that route to be honest.

Probably more prudent to get that section replaced , they are not that expensive.

Thanks Evans,

I suspected that would be the case. I've left a request with both companies to try and get some. 

The company I bought from don't necessarily agree with my plan only because they don't deal with this sort of request often (as kits are made to measure).

I won't lose a lot of heating space if I do cut and can't use the offcut it's just not ideal.

Thanks for your help anyway guys, much appreciated.

I'd be very wary of cutting it, if it's anything like the normal UFH cables and mats,

its made to a specific length to obtain the required resistivity,

and you can be 100% certain you will definitely have no warranty whatsoever. 

I was talking to a guy from one of these companies at a trade show last year and their mats could be cut and joined, they actually came with the crimps and crimping tool. Tbh if the OP could obtain the crimp terminals he won't have the required tooling to attach them, they are specific to those crimps.

I remember it clearly, because, I was looking at doing some UFH at the time and if we bought say 5 kits, each one would come with a crimp tool, I asked if it was possible to get the required number of kits and just one tool, thinking it must work out cheaper. Oddly enough the answer was no, every kit comes with a crimp tool, bit wasteful imo, lets be honest if you're in the trade how many crimpers do you need, considering one pair will do hundreds of jobs.