Nest Heat Link and Thermostat Y Plan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racricket

Reaction score
Evening all I'm just looking for some clarification on the wiring of a nest heat link and thermostat..

The heating system is a y plan so at the programmer we have Live and Neutral in , a hot water satisfied, a heating demand and a hot water demand cable all going up to the wiring centre.

I'm thinking it's just a case of swap the cables from the programmer into the heat link and then disconnecting from the wiring centre the live out to the stat and the switch live back from the stat and just putting a link between the 2 terminals in the wiring centre..then simply pair the nest stat with the heat link 

Does sound correct 

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening all I'm just looking for some clarification on the wiring of a nest heat link and thermostat..

The heating system is a y plan so at the programmer we have Live and Neutral in , a hot water satisfied, a heating demand and a hot water demand cable all going up to the wiring centre.

I'm thinking it's just a case of swap the cables from the programmer into the heat link and then disconnecting from the wiring centre the live out to the stat and the switch live back from the stat and just putting a link between the 2 terminals in the wiring centre..then simply pair the nest stat with the heat link 

Does sound correct 

Thanks in advance

Hi - I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions?  I also have a y-plan system and at the programmer (Drayton LP241) I also have just 5 wires, the same as yours.  L & N in, HW & CH demand and HW satisfied.

First, it's not clear to me if the Common terminals on the heat link are connected to Live internally, or do I need to link them to the L terminal.  I don't have the Nest yet, so can't test with a multimeter.

Second, what did you mean by "link between the 2 terminals in the wiring centre"?

Finally, do I need to connect the Heat Link terminal 1 (CH Satisfied) to anything?  I only have HW satisfied at the programmer.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers

Chip.

Sorry - not sure if I can edit posts, but FWIW, my existing system is wired like this:

ScreenShot2017-08-10at11_22_47.png.d1f3eabe72f8468a46e34486ad9c2e28.png

The nest has 'no volt' switching,

There is no voltage on the switching terminals, its so you can use it to switch elv boilers as well as mains ones,

No need for CH satisfied connection

Thanks - so I need to link live to the HW and CH common terminals, right?

I just need to figure out how to get 12v from the Nest Heat Link to the Nest thermostat?!? I had mistakenly thought my existing thermostat was connected to the Drayton timer, but of course it's not - it's wired up to  a the junction box in the airing cupboard upstairs.  Since I don't have any spare wires going from the timer to the junction box, is my only option a separate 12v supply up in the airing cupboard?  I can't see how I can get the 12v out from the Nest Heat Link to the thermostat.

I'm trying to do all this "in my head". Perhaps it will be a lot easier when I've actually bought the kit and got the wires exposed!

Thanks - I know this. It's a matter of where to plug it. I was hoping to run the 12v line from the Heat Link, but that might be more difficult than I thought. Having to fit a fused spur in the airing cupboard simply to plug the Nest PSU in, is a bit of a pain in the ****. Plus the fact it's damp and 130 degrees in there - not exactly ideal for the PSU!

This is exactly why I don;t really fit the Nest, the wired or plugged in stat is a PITA. I fit the Drayton MiGenie by preference. The programmer simply goes in place of the existing programmer (backplate is the same, not that stupid tiny bit on the edge of the Nest) and the room stat is completely wireless. It's basically a wireless programmable stat with an an extra wireless bit that simply plugs into the router. Never had an issue installing these, always some quirk or oddity when fitting the Nest though.

the amount of questions about the same thing would suggest the manual that comes with it is not fit for purpose, or they are being sold / advertised as an easy DIY swap when they are not....

Thanks folks for your help.

@Andy: they are not sold as an easy DIY swap.  DIY install is not recommended, hence the questions.  It doesn't come with an installation manual.

Hmmmm, interesting comments.  Why do you say this, steptoe?  What's wrong with it exactly?

I've looked at Hives and several of them in the shops have been broken - with the same fault - so I am not tempted by those.  The Nest looks great and has decent reviews.  What's wrong with it?

What's wrong with it exactly?

As per my comments, it is not a straight swap and the room stat needs to be wired to something. The wireless room stat on the MiGenies is the main reason I use them and not the Nest.

Reliability wise I've had no issues with either, but the MiGenie is half the price of the Nest, UK designed & manufactured etc so ticks all the boxes for me.

The Hives (regardless of reliability) are not worth paying a monthly subscription for.