What books to buy to revise for the test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayzee

Reaction score
Hi people,

Good evening all, 1st ever post here & was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on what books to buy to revise for thw 17th edition & test & inspection course?, any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

IET GN3 definitely, BS7671 Amd3 also, probably the OSG, I can't remember TBH, it's been a while, but, if I had to resit, I would be looking to these, if I was doing it for the first time, there are some others both by the IET & other organisations.

Welcome to the forum btw.

:Welcome:

Hi sidewinder, thanks for the speedy reply, yes i have the 7671 & osg so will buy the gn3 too, also do you think i need to revise the whole of all 3 books?, thanks again.

Thanks ruston, much appreciated, glad i joined this forum now, very helpful chaps:

Also do i need to read all 3 books thoroughly to pass?, thanks in advance for any help mate.

It's not about a pass, this exam is one of the, most important, as it teaches you to I&T in accordance with BS7671 safely.

I had a Masters Degree in Engineering when I took this qualification and I still found it challenging.

It used to be a two hour practical, and a two hour written exam. I know it has changed , but you should have a good grounding in testing and inspecting to attempt this exam .

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did the old 2391 it was a 3hr written exam followed by a 2hr practical (I did my practical the next day) ----- I did the course and exam in 4 1/2 days (up @steptoe's way) and found it quite intense, the inspection and testing wasn't so bad as I'd been doing that in my old job (avionics) for the previous 17 years

The books that I used were GN1, GN3, 7671, OSG (and/or AMICUS books)

Can anyone answer my question then?, thanks.
If you are experienced in inspection and testing and have a grounding in electrical installation ,then with a lot of work and revision you should be able to pass this exam.

But your post says that you are also to do the 17th, if this is the first reg course you are doing ,and you are new to the industry you may well struggle with the I&E  exam.

Pm me your email and I'll send what question papers I have. Scanned the stuff long ago and sent to more people than I can recall!

Stuff sent to the OP. Good luck.

Edit: Seems the OP only has "i" devices.....

So first he needs an unzipping app. Then the 17th simulator is a .exe file.