Hybrid analogue and wifi/wlan dvr

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevie-g

Reaction score
Hi. 

I currently have an old 960h analogue cctv system. There's a couple of things I'm looking to do but currently can't find a hybrid dvr capable.

I want to keep the 4x bnc cable runs I already have and upgrade the cameras to tvi or ahd cameras so need a dvr which will allow this.

I then want to expand my system by a further 4 cameras but I don't want to have to run any wires back to the dvr. So I don't want to use ip poe type cameras. 

I want to use wifi or wlan type cameras to expand. The reason for this is I want my additional cameras in difficult places such as my detached garage and she'd at the bottom of the garden. Both have power so would allow me to use a wifi camera, but both locations are difficult to access if I had to route a poe wire back to the dvr.

So. I need a hybrid dvr that will allow me to keep my bnc wires and upgrade my existing analogue cameras and also allow me to extend the system with remote wifi cameras, not ip poe type cameras.

Any ideas? I can't currently find a hybrid that does this. 

I could go for 2 separate systems but really would like to avoid this.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So. I need a hybrid dvr that will allow me to keep my bnc wires and upgrade my existing analogue cameras and also allow me to extend the system with remote wifi cameras, not ip poe type cameras.

You've got loads of technologies mixed up here and have got stuck in a loop.

PoE is just ethernet with power. You can ignore the power bit, so now we just have ethernet. At this point you can do anything with it, so just stick a wireless access point on the camera port of the NVR and the connect any wireless cameras and/or wired cameras with a wireless bridge attached.

As for the PoE side, you can still use PoE to power the cameras at the remote locations, just use locally powered PoE injectors, or use external power (not all IP cameras allow this, most do though).

The NVR can then be pretty much any hybrid unit.