Side by side fridge freezer not cold enough, showing error

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hs04avp

Reaction score
We have a side by side Whirlpool fridge freezer (S20DFBB20) which has been in storage for a long time. We've just had it delivered to our new house, it's working but the freezer side (there's a display) is showing an error code of '- -' which (according to the manual) means the freezer temperature is warmer than -11.
I looked at manuals on the whirlpool website but didn't find anything very helpful: http://docs.whirlpool.eu/default.cfm#search-result-table

When this is showing you can hear the fridge/freezer fan or cooler or whatever it is, running continuously.

Several times (this has been plugged in since Thursday evening), usually 2 to 3 times a day, it has stopped this error and shown -18 degrees for several hours but then eventually the alarm goes again and the error message displays. The fridge doesn't seem very cold either, but that side of the display shows '2' (which I'm pretty sure means 2 degrees), but it feels warmer than that. I've ordered a thermometer to check the actual temperature.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about figuring out what might be wrong and possibly advising us on how to repair it?? I've read somewhere about checking the fan for dust and fluff and clearing it out, making sure it's turning properly etc, but I don't know where this is to check it.

I'm generally fairly handy and always up for learning and trying new DIY things myself, recently installed our new electric hob and fitted oven myself so figured I would see if there is anything I could do myself before trying a repair man.

Help greatly appreciated!

Had a similar problem with a Samsung fridge freezer and eventually narrowed it down to the molex connector for the thermistor in the back of the freezer (behind the rear panel) a spray of contact cleaner and a few operations of the connector it has been ok

Steptoe: I left it 4 hours before turning on as it was transported upright

UNG: Thanks! Could you possibly give me a little more information on how to try this? Do you mean the back panel inside the freezer or at the back of the whole appliance? What does this connector look like please?

Possibly I should have added I have zero professional experience at all, I'm posting as a total layman!

might be worth putting some containers of water in freezer - give it something to do. Freezers do rely to an extent on having a thermal mass present within them.

Oh really? I have put food in the freezer and it is frozen, but I've made sure it's lower down. That's a good idea and I'll give it a go :)

Steptoe: I left it 4 hours before turning on as it was transported upright

UNG: Thanks! Could you possibly give me a little more information on how to try this? Do you mean the back panel inside the freezer or at the back of the whole appliance? What does this connector look like please?

Possibly I should have added I have zero professional experience at all, I'm posting as a total layman!
The thermistor and connector are behind the back panel inside the freezer. The connector could be white or natural plastic colour and will have 2 wires leading to a small thermistor about the size of a pea

Latest posts