Can this motor be reversed?......I think not, but..........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna go with yes, & I think Rapp is right.

The black thing with the red wires is I believe a temperature switch.

The start winding will be in series with the centrifugal switch.

Canoe is the one, but I don't think he's around.

I think my mates issue is that there are only three leads going to the windings, we were expecting a start pair and a run pair.

he is very hands on and practical. He has just bought a Myford ML7. Motor on it would not reverse so he took motor off his band saw. His pillar drill will only start by hand, so he fitted the Myford lathe motor to his drill. That's two problems sorted, all working fine.

he made his own compressor a few years ago ( he is a welder fabricator/tin knocker ). He now does not need it, cannot sell it, so decided to put comp motor on bandsaw. But it is wrong rotation. All this has been done over the weekend

I will,await Canoeys return from the netherworld

As there are only three leads to the windings I assume there’s an internal connection for start and run so reversing the motor isn’t possible. To check take a CR reading between each lead outs, if you get a reading between all three then there’s an internal connection.

Sorry I didn’t look at the pictures first, I’ve been a bit preoccupied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truly valuable, the knowledge on here is awesome. I dare not ask how you managed to find the connection point of the two windings....

Well done. Best post for a long while