HELP Whirlpool american fridge not working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an american type fridge freezer, tall and with a water and ice dispenser etc. Had it 12 years with little issue. Model is whirlpool 858617215010 

It was making a beeping sound earlier so I switched it onto standby and back and the beeping stopped. However noticed stuff was thawing out inside. Just pulled it out and the compressor isnt running. 

Any ideas? any common issues with these? 5 years ago the main board was fried by a transient voltage caused by the DNO but never had any bother otherwise. Clutching at straws really but all help gratefully received

A BIT LATER

Theres a 3 core coming from the mains input/ compressor area. The mains goes to the compressor then this 3 core goes to the control box. Brown, Black and Blue. I guessed the black to be the return switched control to the compressor so pulled the multiplug off the board and shorted brown to blck with a piece of cable (unplugged at this point) Plugged back in and compressor is running. SO something on the control panel stopping it running. But what? I'm guessing a relay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your fridge a side by side double door type? I think it's actually a S20ERSS2V, if you're search for info try that model number instead of the one you quoted above.

I'd advise extreme caution applying power direct to the compressor, if your bypassing the start relay when you do it there's a good chance of damaging the windings.

I'd suggest check the defrost timer and internal and external fans to start with.

Thanks, I just checked it quickly to eliminate the compressor from my fault finding. fans seem to work OK. Its one of those with a freezer which opens motorised flaps into the fridge section to maintain fridge temp. I think for the sake of £3 its worth changing out the relay.

Would you care to explain how I could damage the windings? all I did was simulate the relay operation briefly?

The power to the compressor is supplied via a current operated start relay that connects power the start and run windings simultaneously for a very shot period then disconnects the start winding. With a few of the older models and especially with newer generation (isopropane) fridges the compressor relay, capacitor (if there is one) and the klixon are located remote from the compressor so, depending where power is artificially applied, you could bypass the compressor controls and it can result in rapid and catestrophic overheating of the windings.

Is your fridge giving any indication of errors or compressor run or defrost condition on the display if it has one? You say the fan is working okay, is that the internal fan or the external one by the compressor?

Thanks Marvo, 

The fans both run. I removed the ice maker as the defrost timer/switch is in that assembly, I shorted a pair of cables and the compressor came on briefly. No error codes showing at all and I can not get the compressor to come on again with the short. I can get a S/H complete unit for £29 - is there anywhere where I can see a full drawing or at least a schematic? BTW, I took the compressor relay off the board and tested it and its fine so put it back.