Pump Overrun' and 'Fan post-purge

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay8010

Reaction score
Hi there

I have the following message appear on my boiler for a couple of days now - there seems to be no hot water upstairs & for the shower but on some days it will work again, plus now the central heating is not working when I turn the thermostat

Anyone had this issue?

It means your boiler doesn't work so unless you happen to be proficient at repairing them you need to call someone. No point in me telling you that your post is vague and it could do with the boiler make/model etc as it will end up with the same conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It means your boiler doesn't work so unless you happen to be proficient at repairing them you need to call someone. No point in me telling you that your post is vague and it could do with the boiler make/model etc as it will end up with the same conclusion.
All I know is it is an IDEAL LOGIC

Ideally the logical solution would be to fit a decent boiler.

If the person that comes out to look at it says this isn't worth repairing then I'd agree with them, just so you know.

I had some problem several months ago. I went to the service center, but there they told me that I need to buy and install new water heater. As I live in New Zealand my friend recommended me to contact with one service center, you can check  here  and find some pieces of advise and help there.

I had some problem several months ago. I went to the service center, but there they told me that I need to buy and install new water heater. As I live in New Zealand my friend recommended me to contact with one service center, you can check  here  and find some pieces of advise and help there.

Welcome to the forum.

We are a UK based forum, so unfortunately New Zealand based suppliers are not much use to our members!

The fan runs first, then if the sensors are happy with the readings the pcb starts the pump, followed by the ignition, if boiler won't fire then it's the pcb that is stopping it from running, However this doesn't mean it's a faulty pcb, it could be any one of a number of things, a common one is a sticky fan, we had one on ours doing that, a spray with lubricant and it would run for weeks then fail again. It could be a pressure switch, it could be a split hose, there are loads of things it could be, as others have said, get a heating engineer in otherwise it can work out really expensive. A bloke near me had a problem and the engineer quoted him £90 to fix it, he thought it was a pcb, but either way for 90 quid he'd guarantee a working boiler. The guy thought he was being ripped off so bought the part and asked me to fit it, the pcb was £85, and not returnable, I fitted it and charged him £30, the boiler still didn't run! In the end it cost him nearly £200 for me to get bit working, and he was moaning about paying the heating engineer 90 quid.