Anyone noticed similar problem ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mrs Deke buys herself an Amazon "Fire" Tablet  on offer  @ £35 .   Says the battery doesn't last as long as they say  so I have a look .  ( I am Forum IT Consultant after all) 

Ah    Much like my Kindle , the Wifi is switched ON all the time unless you go in "Aeroplane" mode  ( Whatever that means ?)   

So I just switched the Wifi OFF  and notice that the desktop is picking up faster ( Or may be imagination  or may be its after midnight the traffic on BT has eased off ? )

Desktop is hard wired to the BT hub  but should I expect an additional device like "Fire" using Wifi to slow the hub down ?

the less programmes running in  the background, the more RAM will be available to do the tasks you want your gadget to do. I've just bought a new phone, and the first thing I do is disable all the apps I don't use, like videos, weather forecasts, google play etc etc. Apart from allowing the phone to do what I want it to do faster, it vastly improves battery life, by several days for myself.

You all mad?!

Apart from deke of course.

These Amazon things  use up a lot of data bandwidth in the background, It's indicative of the way things are going, just got a phone update and noticed they are getting larger... 500MB for an operaying system update WTFudge...

I blame Donald Trump.

You all mad?!

Apart from deke of course.

These Amazon things  use up a lot of data bandwidth in the background, It's indicative of the way things are going, just got a phone update and noticed they are getting larger... 500MB for an operaying system update WTFudge...

I blame Nicola Sturgeon

edited that for you..

with respect to laptops and desktops running wndows... I think Microsoft and the hardware manufacturers act in collusion so that the programmes get bigger over time and need more processing power... so you buy a new computer... with new software... so you buy a new computer .....

I think what Mr Evans is saying is that his desktop sped up when he turned the tablet  off!? 

But yes there is definitely a conspiracy between the manufacturer & micro****e  & that is why Linux is becoming  increasingly  popular.

Just found a 1gb memory stick with ubuntu  on it if it were bindows  it would come on a billion cds and still not work properly. 

I blame Theresa May.

I think what Mr Evans is saying is that his desktop sped up when he turned the tablet  off!? 

But yes there is definitely a conspiracy between the manufacturer & micro****e  & that is why Linux is becoming  increasingly  popular.

Just found a 1gb memory stick with ubuntu  on it if it were bindows  it would come on a billion cds and still not work properly. 

I blame Jeremy Corbyn

If the desktop sped up when the tablet switched off, it could just be a coincidence, and the later in the evening the kids up and down the road get off their devices too! Want to do a large download and live in a residential area - do it duirng school hours!

Some years ago I was a senior technician with VM, they were just bringing out 20 meg broadband at the time and loads of people were signing up for it, it wasn't actually deliverable in the majority of cases, but we were told not to tell customers this. There are a great many things that affect broadband speed, computer running at optimal performance, quality of cable, distance from exchange etc, even the resistor terminators left off open ports in the cab can affect it, as can cables with kinks in. I had to go out and sort problems when other people couldn't and some of the work was really poor, also with VM they go on about high speed fibre, this is only to the node, from the node to the house is still copper, to get full benefit you need fibre right to the house. The other providers fair no better, they all run on the BT network which in some places is in dire need of an upgrade, the broadband signal travels down the same pair as the phone signal on the BT network, if you have a noisy phone line then naturally your broadband is going to suffer too, being more sensitive it is actually possible to have a phone that works, albeit with noise on the line, but the noise is enough to totally kill the broadband.

Another interesting one which a lot of people are not aware of is routing, My local broadband server is in Liverpool, about 20 miles from me and to be fair it's not normally bad. One day the broadband was terrible, you couldn't use 2 laptops at the same time, I decided to do some tests and the broadband speed had dropped to about 4 meg! I pinged the server and discovered that for some reason I was being routed through a server in Shrewsbury! I don't know whether it was due to maintenance or what but it was definitely going through Shrewsbury.

Another seemingly obvious one is making sure your wireless network is secure, When I was at VM I was sent to a very irate customer in Liverpool. They were paying for the highest broadband speed but complaining it was taking ages to download a film. When I arrived at the address the woman immediately started ranting at me and eventually I was able to get a look at the problem, they had a pc, a laptop and a 10 disc dvd burner, it was obvious what they were doing. Well the pc was switched off but the lights on the router were flashing like crazy, I asked who was using the laptop and she said nobody, it was her son's and he was at school. I pulled the 2 patch leads out of the router, now nothing was connected, yet the light still flashed, obviously someone was using the wireless, I turned off wireless and the lights stopped flashing, problem solved, they'd set up the router but left wireless access open, there was about 3 or 4 neighbours getting free wireless broadband! There was another one similar, it was school holidays and this guy worked from home, between about 10 at night and 10 in the morning it worked fine, outside these hours it was terrible. I arrived at the address and noticed about 6 youths sat on the wall at the side of his house, they all had tablets or phones and appeared to be using them, I went in and sure enough his broadband was really slow. I went back outside and asked one of the lads why they were all sat on that particular wall, "free wifi mate" replied one, sure enough the guy hadn't secured his broadband!

Interesting .  Its NOT a phone by the way , just a tablet . Its an Amazon product so gets a lot of adverts from them but you can stop them .    Had a rollocking because I "messed" with it  but I'm waiting to see if the battery life is better when not permanantly connected to WiFi .   As I said , I only switch to WiFi on my Kindle  when ordering a book .

Amazon have taken to selling two versions of many of their products. When I bought my latest kindle there was a cheap one that came with embedded advertising and a more expensive version with exactly the same specs that had no advertising built into it.

Edit

They're a bunch of underhanded courgettes though, they don't make it clear you're getting an advertising infested version, they say it 'includes special offers' inferring you're getting something beneficial bundled with it when in fact you're getting a device that regularly stops its primary function in order to force you to see a whole bunch of lettuce you have no interest in.

Drawing1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: