Scarey microwaves !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone on the radio yesterday talking about his WiFi  dropping out or something , discovered it hapened when the microwave was used .   Now surely there should be no leakage from those things .

I used to a lot of work installing data radios from on frequencies from 2.4 to 60GHz. Did a job one day linking 2 sites about 150 metres apart using 2.4 GHz kit on directional antennas for weeks afterwards this kit would randomly drop out for no apparent reason so one day it was down to site with the spectrum analyser after an hour or two the problem was located a company a little bit down the road had a microwave wood drying kiln that had some serious power and even more serious a massive leak anything using the 2.4 gig band nearby was wiped out

Although the one I always remember was when I was on an RF awareness course down south the instructor was telling us about an incident the RA (now OFCOM) northern office had to investigate not sure he quite knew where we were from as while he was trying not to give too much information we realised this incident was on our home patch there had been a lot of reports of RF interference which the RA had eventually narrowed down to a chip shop whose owner was trying to increase efficiency and had removed the door from the microwave defeated the door switch so he could save time heating pies by not having to open and close the door

Can't be the cause of my WiFi issues I don't have a microwave.

dangerous things magnetrons.

:ph34r:
Your in London enough said damn near every usable frequency in London is clogged more so the wifi frequencies then you have to factor in the neighbours microwaves

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an acceptable level for microwave leakage, which is probably way above what would be needed to knock out your WiFi.

Microwaves and WiFi use very similar frequencies so a leaking microwave could cause Wi Fi problems. Conversely you can test a microwave for leakage by positioning it as close as possible to your WiFi router and seeing if your mobile phone has WiFi reception when you put it in the microwave and close the door.

Microwaves and WiFi use very similar frequencies so a leaking microwave could cause Wi Fi problems. Conversely you can test a microwave for leakage by positioning it as close as possible to your WiFi router and seeing if your mobile phone has WiFi reception when you put it in the microwave and close the door.
And if your microwave has got a bad leak you will kill the receiver on wifi side of the router by overloading it with too much power

and if its an iphone, may as well turn the microwave on to charge the battery

We had a belt conveyor running through a 6kW microwave tunnel oven for drying ceramics before firing. I hated having to work on the damn thing, I never trusted the leakage monitor.
Had similar when working on the TV masts every climber had a personal monitor and one guy had a meter to monitor the power levels and make sure that the output power had been turned down if needed for the height we were working at

Never tried it but the TV RF is evidently good for quickly cooking the average person when up close and personal with a high power antenna

And if your microwave has got a bad leak you will kill the receiver on wifi side of the router by overloading it with too much power
I think you misunderstood my post, I wasn't suggesting the microwave was running. You leave the microwave unplugged and put the phone inside it and see if it still has WiFi signal when the door is closed.

I just feel that we are all cooking slowly these days with all this WiFi radiating about .    Lets face it , we walk about all day with all the radio , TV , microwaves, cellphone, & WiFi passing through us .

Now where did I leave my Bacofoil lined hat ? :C    They're trying to see into my brain you know ..........  well let me tell you ...they'll find nothing there !!

Marvo  I like your idea of the cellphone in the microwave oven but I'm thinking , with it being a metal box , the signal would die anyway

Now where did I leave my Bacofoil lined hat ? :C    They're trying to see into my brain you know ..........  well let me tell you ...they'll find nothing there !!

58fb946ce8944_frytinfoilhat.png.ef369f460aa69ce99959f4775ea3025e.png

Marvo  I like your idea of the cellphone in the microwave oven but I'm thinking , with it being a metal box , the signal would die anyway
Not sure TBH, never tried it myself. It's obviously not a very scientific test and the results would be inconclusive at best but in theory it might give an indication of leakage if you don't have an official leak detector available. Maybe give it a try if you've got time.

and if its an iphone, may as well turn the microwave on to charge the battery
There was a guy in the pub the other afternoon, doing his nut over his new I phone, not as clever as it thought it was, the final straw came when he wanted to put a "thumbs up" at the end of a text message. After much swearing and cursing he informed me that after all the problems he'd had with it, the final straw came when it asked him what colour of "thumbs up" he wanted? Apparently it had yellow, maybe for Chinese people? Brown, Asians? Black, n e g r o 's  and finally a White one. That's all we effing need he exploded, a phone that's frightened of being accused of racism.

Latest posts