New Test lamps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Bought myself some new test lamps yesterday from the car boot sale, tbh I couldn't resist them. The guy wanted 15 quid but I haggled him down to 8, they use 2 filament lamps and are good for 415V, and yes the leads are fused although I'm not sure they comply with GS38 due to the length of exposed tip, no problem getting them into terminals though. Just got to get some new leads for my meter and I'm good to go. My meter came with a copy of the latest IEE wiring regs so I've swotted up on that as well.

test lamps1.jpg

test lamps2.jpg

The regs were from 1940 I believe, anyway there's no mention of loop testing or RCD's, only a mention that the resistance of the earth path, be it cable, conduit or lead sheath, should be no greater than 1 ohm measured between the point of origin and any point on the installation. Oh happy uncomplicated times. lol

Those test lamps bring back memories because we all made our own , 240V was just a lampholder & two wires with prods made from Biro cases.   Unfused of course.

440V  were two lampholders in series usually taped together , 15W pygmey lamps .   The prods on the tester look like two screws ground to a point .

Love it !!! :Salute

That style Megger I remember well ,  very similar with winding handle for MOhms ,  if it wasn't a Megger it would have been Edgcombe I think was the make. 

We graduated to the Drummond mains testers  , I still have a set somewhere. 

for that price they better have a calibration cert
Andy , I'd love to hand those in on Calibration day at Denmans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those test lamps bring back memories because we all made our own , 240V was just a lampholder & two wires with prods made from Biro cases.   Unfused of course.

440V  were two lampholders in series usually taped together , 15W pygmey lamps .   The prods on the tester look like two screws ground to a point .

Love it !!! :Salute

That style Megger I remember well ,  very similar with winding handle for MOhms ,  if it wasn't a Megger it would have been Edgcombe I think was the make. 

We graduated to the Drummond mains testers  , I still have a set somewhere. 

Andy , I'd love to hand those in on Calibration day at Denmans.
I still use a set of Drummond test lamps, prefer them to anything else oddly enough