Minor Work Certificate

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinsparks

Reaction score
Hello, Im new to the site and would like to ask a question regarding certification. 

Im having some alterations done in my kitchen that will require the electrician to sign off the work.

Can someone tell me who the certificate will be sent to?

Well that's several different answers to a vague and confusing question, cleared that up nicely (not).

You mention a MWC and "signing off". What are you expecting, what do you want?

This is obviously an XY problem, maybe back it up a couple of steps would help us to provide a better answer to a clearer question.

Sorry about the confusion I will try again.

I am having a little work done in my kitchen that the electrician says needs to be minor work certified, I assume then he will give me a copy of the said certificate.My question is, do I need to notify the local authorities of this work?

Or will he do that?

Hope this is a bit clearer as I am getting confused now.

I will try to detail the work he told me he had to do.

We had an electric oven and gas hob, these are being replaced with an induction hob and separate oven.This he said would require a rcd fitting next to the consumer unit which will supply the new "cooker point".

The said cooker point would then supply the induction hob and he would also run a supply from that to a socket for the oven so these two would be fed from the same 6mm cable.Is that classed as a new circuit I don't know.All the other work is just changing existing socket outlets for new ones.

I would say that the cooker circuit is existing and not a new, it is just being added to. There are no new circuits as such I would think but not sure.

Sorry in advance but I hope this is clear enough.

Having a wild stab in the dark

Going by your username,

You're the spark doing the work, and don't know what cert to issue, and don't want to have to issue an EIC and have to notify the work as you aren't in a scam, 

:C

Yes steptoe spot on. I worked in industry for 40 years the last 15 of those as company electrical manager. Part "P" was just coming in when I retired so never had the need to get registered. I don't have any problem with doing the job its just the certification, and what I need to do to keep on the straight and narrows.

I did have an electrician round to let me have a quote but not heard back yet.

DIY is not ilegal, the extent to what counts as DIY is only governed by what's available in the sheds, basically everything!

The only problem is when you come to selling and legal bods will waste hours over it, sending letters back and fourth until the end of time because it's not been notified to the LABC.

new circuits are notifiable and must comply with current regulation (17.3).

If you are not selling and you have the correct equipment to test the circuit, I don't see why not?? it's not as if the part P police are coming!

of course, it would have been easier if you had gave us all the details in the first post instead of wasting people time answering a non-existent question

Think if you look up at comment Andy I said that electrician is giving me a price for job (still not got that). As for doing the job it would appear that I am not a "competent" person, so by doing it myself would be a problem.

I didn't say I was doing it I said I could do it.