Elecsa assessment and rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamieross85

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site my name is james and I am getting my first assessment from elecsa in June and I have only just started out on my own, does anyone know what sort of thing they will be looking for? what questions they will ask? also I have recently partly re-wired a house rewiring the ring main and lighting. Now I know these things listed would be recommendations but will it cause problems gaining the certificate if I dont do them?

So here we go:

Install smoke alarms.

Install extractor fan in bathroom.

These items I have not done as it was only recommendations but I know it's part of the current building regs so what I am trying to ask is if i don't install these items could I still get a certificate signed off with these items just being recommendations?

Any help (if it makes sense) would be much appreciated.

Thanks In advance.

Elecsa are interested in your money, then your electrical knowledge, with a general understanding of the building regs.

On a partial rewire there is no requirement for smokes (yes, daft) or extractor fans.... Extensions are different, as are new builds....

Elecsa are interested in your money, then your electrical knowledge, with a general understanding of the building regs.

On a partial rewire there is no requirement for smokes (yes, daft) or extractor fans.... Extensions are different, as are new builds....
Thanks mate, appreciate your comments.

As Murdo asks , do you have the welcome pack ?   If you do , go through it and satisfy EVERY criteria , if you don't it will delay your registration .

I have to go out now but can do a full list later today as I'm an ELECSA ite . 

The big thing is , don't let it worry you , as Murdo says , firstly they need your money to function .     If you are a reasonably competent electrician with the necessary qualifications and a working knowledge of the  Regs  you'll be fine . 

A favourite question is the Ze values .

TN-S  0.8 ohms

TN-C-S   0.35 Ohms

As Murdo asks , do you have the welcome pack ?   If you do , go through it and satisfy EVERY criteria , if you don't it will delay your registration .

I have to go out now but can do a full list later today as I'm an ELECSA ite . 

The big thing is , don't let it worry you , as Murdo says , firstly they need your money to function .     If you are a reasonably competent electrician with the necessary qualifications and a working knowledge of the  Regs  you'll be fine . 

A favourite question is the Ze values .

TN-S  0.8 ohms

TN-C-S   0.35 Ohms

Have you got the welcome pack with the check list? 
Hi thanks for you reply, I have had one via email and they can't fit me in now until 06/07/17 great! I will run through the list and make sure I have everything needed and what they are expecting. Correct me if I am wrong but once on the electable schem I can the sign my own work off? Do you just go on a website and register your completed certificates? How does it work? Thank you for your posts very greatfull. 

Yes once you are a  scheme member you can sign off your own work .   You register on the ELECSA website , you will have a membership number ,  when you've completed a notifiable job , say a rewire ,  you do all your tests etc , make out a Domestic Installation Certificate  Top copy you  give to whoever ordered the work  ( Householder , builder,   Landlord etc)  .  Then go online , enter the ELECSA site, select " Notify new work "  or whatever it says ...fill it in  , not much to do ,  Post code of job , tick a few boxes , ELECSA then notify Local Building Control and thats it !     Your name is now on the job !!  If anyone adds any wiring to whatever you're doing , put it on the certificate  , what happens after you've gone is not your concern. 

Read your welcome pack & make sure you cover all the bases or it just delay your entry , they've had your cheque now so you're halfway there.

Have all your paperwork out ready , Insurance , test meter calibrations , Electricity at Work Regs 1989 etc etc .

They ask a few questions, basically to see if you have an understanding of the trade in general , so he might ask what you think of the metal  CU's perhaps .  

If  building inspector wants a paper copy of the cert  he can ask the client to photocopy your original ...all that is their problem , all you do is issue a certificate and notify ELECSA.

Again as Murdo said , don't worry about fans , in my opinion we are electricians NOT the Ventilation Police , if the customer doesn't want to pay for a fan you're not fitting one for free, its not your problem .    As said , Smoke Alarms ...we are advised to fit them as part of a major electrical job ....Building Control will insist on them as & where they deem it required ,  Loft conversions with sleeping accommodation etc but all that comes under Fire Doors , Fire rated ceilings etc etc  .. not our business to go around insisting on Smoke Alarms etc  .... .      

If you're unsure of anything just post it  , theres some good guys here who will  help you out . 

Yes once you are a  scheme member you can sign off your own work .   You register on the ELECSA website , you will have a membership number ,  when you've completed a notifiable job , say a rewire ,  you do all your tests etc , make out a Electrical Installation Certificate  Top copy you  give to whoever ordered the work  ( Householder , builder,   Landlord etc)  .  Then go online , enter the ELECSA site, select " Notify new work "  or whatever it says ...fill it in  , not much to do ,  Post code of job , tick a few boxes , ELECSA then notify Local Building Control and thats it !     Your name is now on the job !!  If anyone adds any wiring to whatever you're doing , put it on the certificate  , what happens after you've gone is not your concern. 

Edited that for you...

as for ordered the work .... make sure a copy of the certificate is given to the homeowner...

Yep  I suppose you can do that if you want .   Speaking for myself I do as little beggering about with paperwork as I can, so as I say ......Cert to the bloke who ordered the work ..tick a few boxes online and thats it ....Phart Pee satisfied.