Lighting problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cfath

Reaction score
I've recently gone to change the living room light fitting, after taking down the one that was up (which was working) and then replacing it with my new one, I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried the lamp in a fitting and it is working, so it not the lamp

ive tried putting up the old fitting and that's now not working. 

I've tested between 

live-earth 240v

neutral-earth 240v 

now I'm scratching my head not knowing what's going on?? 

I disconnected a black, blue and an earth from the old fitting..

Did you take a photo of the wiring before disconnecting everything? 

That "neutral to earth" reading will be switched live to earth 

But it wont help him Andy as photos is of how the wiring is now, not before the fitting was tinkered with.

Cfath are you an apprentice?

you need to find the switch live...do you have a multi meter? 
I do, yes

when i took down the old fitting I only removed the cables from the connecter block, one cable is black one is blue which is still in the connecter block now.

i only disconnected the fitting side of the connectors 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last 2 pictures, there is a black hanging down going nowhere. I would have a guess it has snapped off and should be going into the "output" terminal block with the other black that is there (and blue out of the bottom)

Its a right lash up TBH ,  difficult without being there ....I wondered if that twin with the new colours  Brown & Blue , is the switch drop , making the blue the switchwire to the fitting   ( Should be taped brown)  & as Dave says , the black hanging out is the neutral .

Its a right lash up TBH ,  difficult without being there ....I wondered if that twin with the new colours  Brown & Blue , is the switch drop , making the blue the switchwire to the fitting   ( Should be taped brown)  & as Dave says , the black hanging out is the neutral .
I'd say that's about right, and, as @ProDave said, that other black is the Neutral in, 

Cfath , can you put a test on the blue and get someone to switch the light switch on & off ....at least that will prove the sw/wire.

Try it using the light fitting as a test lamp  between blue & earth first ...then try it on that hanging black.      (Don't leave it like that though)

And just to cover our asses ....make sure you are working DEAD when swapping wires about .

After seeing some of those pictures I would say that connecting the new light up is only part of the problem. The whole of that arrangement needs re terminating in a more appropriate manner to bring compliance with BS7671 wiring regulations. A competent electrician with a suitable test meter would probably sort this all out in less than half an hour. Which may be a cheaper and safer method overall.

Doc H.