Cable swager...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh???? Looks, and indeed is, nothing like a "Tirfor" or any other sort of winch!!! Are you looking at the right photos???

Here is it...

View attachment 8048

And here is a link to a video of a somewhat cheaper version being used;;;

Make no mistake it is for fitting the ends on wire rope, and, to the the boat types, would be a very expensive bit of kit indeed....

john..

Yes, i know, but they obviously do not know what it is!! I was thinking of buying it myself at that price, "might come in handy one day" type of thing, but, trouble is, where do you stop?? I have got more than enough junk now already!!

john..

Still being made.

Made by Tractel/Secalt

Using x3 Tu32s myself only the other week!

Great winches. Fave manual winch has to be the Tu8. Got an old X301P single phase winch in the garage actually and I think a couple of X300s (3 phase) stashed somewhere too.

I thought it rachetted a steel cable through itself ,  with an SWA hooked on , hence my reference to the Turfor , which was a long rachet device you needed to hook to a stanchion say  then attach an apprentice to the handle .       Obviously not .

That takes me back to my schooldays, my mother was a driver for a firm that re-lined brakes and clutches for large vehicles, they also made hydraulic hoses. I had a holiday job with them, doing the brakes and hoses, place was horrible, stank of brake linings and dust everywhere, not much H&S back then. A few years back I needed a hose in a hurry, I had a truck down, a crop being harvested and the weather about to change for the worse, I went to the place we used for our hoses and the guy had a sulk on, "come back in a couple of hours, I'm mad busy and it's a difficult job making hoses" he whinged. "plus I doubt if we've even got those ends in stock" . We headed into the workshop and I spotted the fittings straight away, "here we go" I said handing him the fittings, he looked really peed off, "no hose" was his next excuse, I picked up a length of hose, "here's some", he wasn't impressed, clearly he didn't want to do any work. "look mate I'm in a hurry, want me to make it myself" I asked, "yeah right,that would be a laugh" he grunted.

I picked up the kit and went to the machine, swaged one end on, measured it, cut the hose and swaged the other end on, it took me about 5 minutes. The guy looked at me, "where d'you learn that?" he asked, I grinned at him, "about 35 years ago, when I was at school" I laughed, "actually it isn't as difficult as some people make out". He glared at me, "ok off you go, we'll send you the bill". and the cheeky ****** did, parts and labour! I couldn't believe it, I'd made the hose and he charged us for making it up.

That takes me back to my schooldays, my mother was a driver for a firm that re-lined brakes and clutches for large vehicles, they also made hydraulic hoses. I had a holiday job with them, doing the brakes and hoses, place was horrible, stank of brake linings and dust everywhere, not much H&S back then. A few years back I needed a hose in a hurry, I had a truck down, a crop being harvested and the weather about to change for the worse, I went to the place we used for our hoses and the guy had a sulk on, "come back in a couple of hours, I'm mad busy and it's a difficult job making hoses" he whinged. "plus I doubt if we've even got those ends in stock" . We headed into the workshop and I spotted the fittings straight away, "here we go" I said handing him the fittings, he looked really peed off, "no hose" was his next excuse, I picked up a length of hose, "here's some", he wasn't impressed, clearly he didn't want to do any work. "look mate I'm in a hurry, want me to make it myself" I asked, "yeah right,that would be a laugh" he grunted.

I picked up the kit and went to the machine, swaged one end on, measured it, cut the hose and swaged the other end on, it took me about 5 minutes. The guy looked at me, "where d'you learn that?" he asked, I grinned at him, "about 35 years ago, when I was at school" I laughed, "actually it isn't as difficult as some people make out". He glared at me, "ok off you go, we'll send you the bill". and the cheeky ****** did, parts and labour! I couldn't believe it, I'd made the hose and he charged us for making it up.
I think I'd be finding a new hose place.

One hour tops delivered when we ordered a “standard” hose over the phone, SS outer braiding maybe another ¼Hr. Most hoses we kept to hand but there was always the oddball ones that needed making up quickly.