Hob and oven on same circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addyboy07

Reaction score
Hello all My name is Adam I finally plucked up the courage to post so here we go.

I have been asked to look at a job where a retailer was to supply and fit a new electric oven to an existing circuit 32a radial. The original oven and hob are both connected to the same isolator, on delivery the fitter refused to fit it as this is not aloud and the new oven should be plugged in.

I have alaways understood this is perfectly acceptable and it also states this in the regs and on-site guide. Your thoughts would be much appreciated maybe I'm in the wrong bu would like to know cheers for your help.

Fitter is an idiot.

Perfectly fine, ideally the oven should be wired into something, not plugged in, but either would work for most single electric ovens. Assuming the hob is gas it might warrant a 3A fuse somewhere, but again a fused spur would suffice, no need for a plug.

Cheers for the fast responses. The hob is electric as well and I have always been of the same opinion with plugs on appliances cut them off and hard wire. I think the fitters argument was that the oven is rated at 13a so shouldn't be connected to a 32a circuit. 

So why does it state in the regs that it's acceptable to put them both on a 32a supply with no mention of what wattage the appliances should or shouldn't be?

What I meant was, no issue with fusing it down to 13A but it's not a requirement of the regulations but might be one of the appliance manufacturers instructions, and even if it was then a plug top isn't the best way of doing it, ideally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Andy that's what I was taught that your protecting the installation not the appliance. I think I will just tell the customer to get it delivered and I will do the connection for them.

Cheers for the fast responses. The hob is electric as well and I have always been of the same opinion with plugs on appliances cut them off and hard wire. I think the fitters argument was that the oven is rated at 13a so shouldn't be connected to a 32a circuit. 

If the oven comes with a pre-fitted plug I would tend to leave them on....

especially if they are still within manufactures warranty period...

Don't want to give any easy get out options if the appliance does go faulty in first 12 months.

Providing the oven and hob aren't ridiculously high powered no problem having them on the same 32A circuit.....

that's what a combined free standing traditional oven & hob like granny had would be connected onto.

A genuinely qualified and electrically competent person doing oven delivery and connections for Curry's or similar, is about as likely as hens teeth or rocking horse pooh..

They are 99.999% of the time very limited scope trained, (probably in house at their office), in a few basics to try and cover the backs for H&S of their employer.

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts