Oven with 13amp plug

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggeorge007

Reaction score
Old oven broken so grabbed a bargain when someone upgraded kitchen, this new oven has a 13amp plug.

Just took old oven out and everything is connected to a junction box, see picture. Please not this is not my handy work, landlord.

Would it be fine to take the cable from the oven side ( marked in green) into a 13amp socket for the new oven to plug into.

TIA

George
oven.jpg.93dd7f8cc00012c00679ce8b120d3d45.jpg

Thanks for the reply,  I thought as much, Shoddy work throughout this house and never heard of sockets off the cooker before.

George

What you want is the cable marked red (from cooker switch) to a cooker connection unit then to the oven, and nothing else.

Then connect the socket (blue cable) somewhere else. Separate question but ideally part of a ring final, if you are desperate, a spur from a ring final.

if the cable marked in red reaches the double socket in the next cupboard (without touching the gas pipe), get rid of all other cables and feed the double socket from the red cable. then plug your newish cooker into that, seem the best way. I assume the gas hob is plugged into it too. Why are there two cables going into next cupboard? photo of that might be good.

What does the data plate of the new cooker say? photo of that too.

I think if your first thought after seeing this abomination wasn't "this is bad, I should not be touching this at all" then you shouldn't be touching this at all, especially as it seems it is a rented property.