13A spur - how many

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack2017

Reaction score
Related to my pond pump thread but I thought this may be simpler - hope thats ok

I have a single 13A socket with a spur taken off it. 

Ideally I would like to add a second spur to feed my pond pump.

question is - what is my allowed method of doing this as I'm looking for

the simplest implementation?

Looking at the 433.1 reference jpg posted in another thread I'm not sure but can I

1. Blank off the socket and feed 2 spurs from 16 or 30A chocolate block from inside

the box. (the feed would not be fused in the socket box then although it is on RCD)

2.  Install a double switched socket and take the second spur off the second socket

3. is there something else I could or must do

I just want to get this done as quickly and simply  as possible.

If you didnt read my pond thread the spur I'm feeding to is 1.5mm SWA cable to

a pond pump.

thanks

jack

You have a single 13A socket with a spur from it.

Add a new 13A single socket next to that one, wired as part of the ring, and take your new spur from that.

Assuming the socket in question is indeed part of a ring final, if not you have bigger problems.

An option might be that if the single socket is part of the ring swop it out for a Fused Spur then coming of the load side you can have multiple sockets limited by load that will be plugged into them, there was a picture in the original 17th appendix 15 showing this. 

An option might be that if the single socket is part of the ring swop it out for a Fused Spur then coming of the load side you can have multiple sockets limited by load that will be plugged into them, there was a picture in the original 17th appendix 15 showing this. 
This one I think.

wreg_appfig15a_am3.png.626a8b261f2688d38216e93d27b114b9.png

Yes sidewinder - thats the jpg I had to look at.

ProDave makes a good point - how can I confirm the socket I'm looking at

is fed off the ring and is not a spur itself? All the wiring in it

seems to be 2.5mm solid core if that helps.

The second option top left on the diagram looks like I can just

wire my external box right in?

You check it's part of a ring, by disconnecting the two cables in the back of a socket, and doing a continuity check on all 3 cores to ensure they are indeed joined together somewhere, and the resistance reading you get is plausible for the expected length of the ring.

Yes sidewinder - thats the jpg I had to look at.

ProDave makes a good point - how can I confirm the socket I'm looking at

is fed off the ring and is not a spur itself? All the wiring in it

seems to be 2.5mm solid core if that helps.

The second option top left on the diagram looks like I can just

wire my external box right in?

The same way you will confirm that any alterations you do are connected correctly. e.g. you will need a low resistance ohm meter to verify the continuity up your CPC is appropriate for the length of cable fitted. The same meter can be used to measure the L->L, N->N, E->E   loops at the socket you intend to spur off.  The L&N values should be within a gnats whisker of each other and both expected values based on the probably length of the ring. The E->E (CPC) will be proportional to the L&N dependant upon the size of conductor used in your wiring. (1.5mm or 1.0mm):2.5mm. If the whole continuity of the ring is not verified to the values you would expect I would think you need a bit more investigations before extending anything.

Doc H.  

Latest posts