Job as an electrician apprentice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viorelflower

Reaction score
I am from Romania and i want to immigrate to UK to live a better life.I know how to measure current and voltage with a multimeter but i don't know how to measure relays and other things.I am 17 years old and my speciality is in electronics(i know electronics is not the same with electrical) and i learned lessons about cc and ac.I have 1 year to go but i don't have relations when it comes to find someone to teach me what to do and how to do.I know how to make a sample circuit with resistors but i have no idea what to do with coils since i have 0 knowledge about them.

Is this all i need?Please answer me soon.Thank you!

I forgot to tell you that i know how to use a soldering gun.

It will be extremely difficult for you to support yourself on an apprentice's wage. It will also difficult to find an apprenticeship in the first place, a lot of British boys struggle to get an apprenticeship. 

What sector of the industry do you see yourself working in. 

It might be easier to learn your trade in Romania and then emigrate when you are qualified.

I could find a place with rent to stay.Do i need help from someone if i want to visit another country?

Hello viorelflower, at 17 you are too young to be here on your own. As rapparee said finish what you are learning first then look again at coming here.

You can not sign a rent contract until you are 18. (If you could, how would you pay the rent? apprentice money is very little)

If you get a bachelors degree, you will not want to be an electrician, but even so, that will not happen for another year, why not wait till then, and see how you feel.

At first i wanted to be an electronical engineer but i had a poor lab in the class and most of us have no idea about atoms.We had poor grades in chemistry and  in physics we didn't know what a tesla coil was and how it was built so they choosed seperate ways.How much physics and chemistry do you need to become an electrician?I know cc and  a bit of ac but when it comes to chemistry i feel empty.

If you get a bachelors degree, you will not want to be an electrician, but even so, that will not happen for another year, why not wait till then, and see how you feel.
Why do you know about electricians?What is so bad about working in a company as an electrician?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone show me some pros and cons about being an electrician?

I was born in 31 may 1999,you do the math.After 3 weeks i will be 18.After i graduate i will be  19.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't be able to afford the rent on an apprentice's wage.

You will find it next to impossible to get an employer to take you on as an apprentice. You may get work on building sites as an unskilled labourer.

Just because i am a new member that doesn't give you the right to judge me.It is true that i started this topic earlier but i wanted to know more about this job.I couldn't find anything else to do.I tried everything but all of them failed.When i was 16 i had no idea what to do with my life and i started asking dumb questions.That won't happen again.This is all i could find.You're asking me if i forgot something?Ok.How does croupier sound to you?Is this a job for me?Do you want me to stand all day and serve cards to drug members?

We aren't judging you, we are just giving you the hard facts of life. 

I wish you well, and I hope you can become an electrician but you will find it difficult to get an apprenticeship. The UK has changed from 20 years ago. Germany is a good country for providing technical apprenticeships. 

What is the system for training apprentices in Romania. 

Lots of boys in Ireland serve apprenticeships and then emigrate to Australia or Canada. They don't go to Australia or Canada and expect to be given an apprenticeship over there.

You have it wrong. You were NEVER judged. You were told the TRUTH, its not our fault you do not like the truth. 

Ask yourself this. You said

I tried everything but all of them failed

Why did they fail? The only common thing is...........

I

You have it wrong. You were NEVER judged. You were told the TRUTH, its not our fault you do not like the truth. 

Ask yourself this. You said

Why did they fail? The only common thing is...........
I tried to be a chess coach but i couldn't score over 1600,after that i tried programming(when i saw these lines i had no idea what they meant),i also tried arts but i was a terrible drawer and i tried electronics but the only good thing that came out was measuring and building circuits without programming.

We aren't judging you, we are just giving you the hard facts of life. 

I wish you well, and I hope you can become an electrician but you will find it difficult to get an apprenticeship. The UK has changed from 20 years ago. Germany is a good country for providing technical apprenticeships. 

What is the system for training apprentices in Romania. 

Lots of boys in Ireland serve apprenticeships and then emigrate to Australia or Canada. They don't go to Australia or Canada and expect to be given an apprenticeship over there.
I heard from most of the forums that electricians earn a bank of money.In which country is this happening?I know about USA but i have no informations about the others.

I don't want to be trained in my country.They won't hire me even if i tried multiple times.The salary is low in economy and the condition sucks + sometimes they don't pay you at all.

You are 18 years old.

You will take your Bachelors Degree soon.

You have no practical knowledge of electrical circuits.

I hate to point out that a recognised BSc takes a number years. With no practical knowledge of your chosen subject almost impossible.

This has to be a wind up, nobody is so stupid.

I heard from most of the forums that electricians earn a bank of money.In which country is this happening?I know about USA but i have no informations about the others.
There is a lot of money to be made in Australia and Canada, Norway also has high wages, but unless you are already qualified the employers will not want to know you.

That is not true.I know how a resister,diode and transistor look like.I also know how to make calculus in circuits.