Bleedin' Hitler ...at it again ........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Returning from a job today about 1.30 ...." Should be home in 1/2 hour "   

Yeah right .. if it wasn't for bleedin' Hitler and the bleedin' Luftwaffe ..............one of their bombs found this morning .....Aston Distressway  closed   =   traffic  chaos  . baddayexplode

My Mom lived in the area during the war , near the Kynoch ammunition factory ....oh didn't that attract the Luftwaffe every night ......well still causing chaos.

Shouldn't we have an Emoticon for UXBs  ?  

I thought the Kyncoh ammunition factory was in Suffolk?
Definitely in Brum 'Patche  .  My childhood was punctuated by the sound of them testing their machine gun ammo every morning ..followed by the "Bull"  at 1.00 pm  which I presume called the faithfull to lunch. 

Became ICI     and then IMI   before dissapearing up its own chimney stack.

kynochs witton.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes you wonder if some of these bombs weren't designed to lay dormant for years, lets be honest the first thing you think of with a German bomb is Hitler. UXB's are one hell of a way of Herr Adolf, making sure he's remembered many years later.

Given that German engineering is supposedly amongst the best, we can only conclude that these bombs were either imports or were specifically designed not to detonate immediately :C  

do do the Germans find many of our bombs undetonated? 

do do the Germans find many of our bombs undetonated
Apparently thousands of people had to leave their homes in one of the major german cities recently  ....forgotten which cty now .   Possibly Dresden

I believe I'm correct in saying that the Allies dropped a huge amount of bombs during their retaliation ........in fact if you look at the state of Berlin , Dresden, etc in the photos taken at the end of the war ......there is total devestation .

The Birmingham bomb , by the way , was surounded by sandbags and exploded in situ , I heard it go off the other day

Given that German engineering is supposedly amongst the best, we can only conclude that these bombs were either imports or were specifically designed not to detonate immediately :C  

do do the Germans find many of our bombs undetonated? 
Some bombs were designed not to detonate immediately to hamper clearing up efforts  and to kill UXB teams . It was all part of the terror and psychology tactics employed by the Germans. We probably did the same.

Just as an aside  ....I heard once ,  can only presume it is true.    that ONE of our Trident nuclear subs carries more explosive fire power than all the bombs dropped in WW2 by ALL the combatants combined .   

If its true ..its scarey .

Me Grandad was an electrician aboard HMS Rodney during the war, after the war he cleared washed up sea mines for a living

I do wish I had listened to his tales more closely, what I do recall that his job was very difficult due to the boobie traps and the fact they were all individual to the maker of the mine. :eek:

He gave it up after he'd seen several of his close friends turn into red mist.

:(

Just remembering...

:Salute

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha !  My Dad was on mine layers & mine sweepers during the war .  I remember him telling me about de-gausing the ship .   I think what happens is  , because of the earth's magnetic fields  ships became like giant magnets and he told of them forming a long line to lower a cable down the side ....perhaps with AC current flowing or positive DC  , I'm not sure TBH ,  then draw the cable up again .   

A magnetised ship would attract a mine to it . 

And theres me Dad  with Ausie friend .

Dad in Australia.jpg

The Birmingham bomb , by the way , was surounded by sandbags and exploded in situ , I heard it go off the other day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-39939925

Indeed it was.

Ha !  My Dad was on mine layers & mine sweepers during the war .  I remember him telling me about de-gausing the ship .   I think what happens is  , because of the earth's magnetic fields  ships became like giant magnets and he told of them forming a long line to lower a cable down the side ....perhaps with AC current flowing or positive DC  , I'm not sure TBH ,  then draw the cable up again .   

A magnetised ship would attract a mine to it . 

And theres me Dad  with Ausie friend .

View attachment 8057

Bet the Koala's called Brian  :C

I remember him telling me about de-gausing the ship .   I think what happens is  , because of the earth's magnetic fields  ships became like giant magnets and he told of them forming a long line to lower a cable down the side ....perhaps with AC current 

it was AC but at a higher frequency than the normal 50Hz

Later in the war wooden hulled mine sweepers were used

Naw  they're all called Bruce down under.

Ahhh...   Brian / Bruce / Bruce / Brian.......

Think that's just the translation between the languages.....

Anyone got an Aussie/UK or UK/Aussie dictionary?

Its all the bloody same when a few of these are applied...

Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness

Latest posts