Rewire own home

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl1985

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in need of some advice on whether or not I'm allowed to rewire my own home. I have some electrical experience as I was a apprentice and made it to my final year but unfortunately was laid off, and found myself going down a different career path. I would like to rewire my 1930's 3 bed, and do the work myself. My plan is to only replace the existing circuits like for like as i don't feel the need to add more sockets, and the same with the lighting. There is also a electric shower but I'm ditching that and installing a mixer tap with a shower. Is it ok for me to carry the work out and have a company test and inspect the work at a later date or is this a no no.

So if i replaced like for like and encased all cables in a conduit in the walls and the earthing was all up to scratch it would be ok?

find someone to sign off the work before you start, no-one likes being called after the work has been done. You could also get building control to sign off. Main question is do you feel competent to do the work? If you made it to the final year of training, this shouldn't be an issue.

Ye im 100% confident I can do the work, might need to brush up on the regs but other that I know I can do the work. I was mainly concerned about insurance and it being void if I was to ever have to claim.

Last edited by a moderator: