Incoming supply upgrade

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev K

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just about to embark on a major renovation on my own property. I've spoken to an electrician (in the pub) and he's suggested/recommended that I upgrade my incoming supply from 80Amp to 100Amp due to the size of the property and what i'll eventually be feeding.

The property is approx. 500m2 on 3 floors with a coach house attached of about 60m2 which I want to turn in to a workshop. If important to the topic it's grade 2 listed, Georgian with planning consent granted.

I called my supplier this morning and they suggested contacting Western Power Distributors who will carry out the works..... I called WPD and they said someone would contact me in the next couple of days regards cost for doing the upgrade etc. Am I wrong in saying that the upgrade for the work should be free of charge as this is what man in pub said?

I have at the moment an electric shower running off a 40amp mcb which then doesn't leave much for the rest of the house especially with having  utility room with dishwasher and washer, American style fridge freezer plus in the kitchen a electric cooker, also other appliances and a workshop.... Granted they won't all be fired up at the same time but... So would you suggest an upgrade too?

If I get this work done he also suggested getting an isolator switch fitted before the consumer unit as to completely de-energise the C/U as it will be worked on a lot during the works when being carried out. I have 3 sub boards coming off this supply also so it may be a good idea as they need a bit of upgrading too if not changing altogether.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Kev

Post a picture of where the supply comes in before the meter and we can tell you if it's going to be free or not.

Changing a fuse shouldn't cost much but if it needs to be moved then it will be £xxx 

What's going to be in the workshop? 

So would you suggest an upgrade too?

Not really no. If it is free then might as well, I often have the DNO come in and change old cutouts but unless you are having problems with the 80A supply I wouldn't bother spending anything on it.

Realistically you aren't going to be using much, as you say you would be hard pushed to manage to have the shower running along with all elements on the cooker and happen to have the washing machine and dishwasher both on the heating cycle too all at the same time. Even if you did you'd probably still not blow an 80A fuse.

80Amp fuse does not blow immediately at 81amps, you can draw more for a short period of time (hours) before it will be a problem. In fact i have a number of commercial / ind clients pushing the edge of their supply regularly going over as i have installed meters to make sure they load manage. agree with above , if you are getting hot at the service head or the old fuse goes then by all means upgrade, otherwise i would not bother.