Head torch suggestions please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retired

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fed up of the West Yorkshire black hole where I need a torch in my hand in order to see what I'm doing; I've been browsing eBay looking for a LED head torch so for my first question can anyone please recommend a decent head torch regarding battery longevity and luminosity? I could simply buy one of these torches but I find it better to ask before purchasing because as with most things quality varies a great deal?

Kind regards, Col.

I've got a couple of snap-on ones , got them a couple of years back when they were on offer in Costco, decent battery life from 3 x AAAs 

I'm waving on the benefits of rechargeable head torches as they always seem to run out of charge when you most need them. 

Hi,

Many thanks steptoe; I hadn't even considered whether disposable or rechargeable batteries would be best? I've never used one of these head torches so any advice is most welcome. Are suitable rechargeable batteries available for these torches or do they have a dedicated battery supplied by the torch manufacturer to suit their charger; a basic question but this is something new to me and I should have bought an head torch years ago.

Kind regards, Col.

it can be surprising when you look around, I've a couple of them, one of the best was from cpc farnell and only cost me around 6 quid, don't like rechargeable batteries though, they do run out at the wrong time,I prefer ordinary ones and carry a spare set.

I thought head torches were for Paedos and Doggers....until I got one!!!!!!!!!!

best are by Petzl or Lenser.......but expensive

i use el  cheap LED from CPC....paid about a fiver and use them with rechargeable AAAs...always carry a spare set of AAA alkaline just in case

get something variable focus

i got a couple of PETZLS from CPC bargain bin a few years ago........fantastic BUT main beam was Halogen and flattened batteries.......BUT at £5 incl VAT for both of them I cannot really complain 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I've had about 3 head torches and not been very impressed with any of them.   They're a nice idea but rely on needing the light in the direction your head is pointing in, which isn't always the case, and even then that assumes the torch is angled correctly on your head, and that it will angle in the right direction because it isn't broken.

Regarding battery longevity I always seem to find they turn them selves on in my toolbox so whenever I go to use them the battery is flat, therefore I have not come across a head torch with decent battery life.

Now I use something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torcia-professionale-CREE-batteria-ricaricabile/dp/B00CJ3SZ0I/ref=sr_1_63?ie=UTF8&qid=1496081760&sr=8-63&keywords=cree+10w

which gives enough light to illuminate the area around where I'm working

and carry around one of these on my keyring:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Portable-Mini-LED-Micro-Light-Keychain-Squeeze-Key-Ring-Torch-Outdoor-/302326863863?var=&hash=item466415d7f7:m:mBnTIeLJFSQ66ib25P4VmDQ

which I know I've always got to hand.

A mate of mine had a couple of random cheap ones and they were rubbish/a pita. Replaced with a Lenser and was an instant "don't know why I bothered with anything else".

Hi,

Thanks guys for your help and advice which I appreciate.

Disposable batteries get the vote so I've just bought through eBay "Mercury 410.337 Powerful 3W Ultra Bright CREE LED Headlight Adjustable Beam New" this costs £11.39 and uses disposable AA batteries. At this sort of price its not going to bankrupt me and certainly cheap enough to give it a try?

I have a powerful hand held LED torch Adam W which I've been using under the bungalow but its a pain needing either propping up or being hand held and this is why I decided at last to go for an head torch; I worked for years underground with a pit lamp on my helmet but this had a large heavy battery which attached to my trouser belt so I'm used to the light shining directly ahead. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post the links.

I was looking for a "Thanks" button but find it's now called "SCOOB" and I'm only allowed three SCOOBS per day otherwise I'd have been happy to award a SCOOB to each of you. I'm quickly finding my way around. 

Kind regards, Col.

Ah, well for that I would get yourself a 10W LED floodlight, battery operated.

i have a few petzl head torches although i usually use one of these

gli18v1900.jpg.d09eccc30e8bb3ce7d6d03328240ad91.jpg

Ah, well for that I would get yourself a 10W LED floodlight, battery operated.
Agreed

i have a couple of them, maybe 20W, two levels of brightness. Badged Eterna BUT they are the same as all the others. Another CPC special offer

fully charged they will last me a day. Also,have them mounted on clips on van bulkhead for lighting up the load space in winter.

also,used them on the van roof when having to do an emergency outside job in the dark

Yep, agreed, I've got a 10w generic one, had it about 3 or 4 years now, lasts a good 4&1/2 - 5 hours on a charge.

Probably one of the best 20£ odd I've ever spent  

A mate of mine had a couple of random cheap ones and they were rubbish/a pita. Replaced with a Lenser and was an instant "don't know why I bothered with anything else".
I've done the same ,but I do use a 10w led rechargeable floodlight from Gap with a mag base as well

Hi,

Thanks guys for your interesting and informative replies. I hadn't considered using a battery operated LED floodlight in fact I didn't know they existed; I've used a mains powered one.

Funds aren't a problem so I'll treat myself to both the head torch (now already bought) and one of the battery LED floodlights; you can't beat having enough kit?

Great replies and a lot of help; thank you.

Kind regards, Col.

LED Lenser are the best head torches. We use these for work:

http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~92060~H7R.2-Head-Torch-In-Test-It-Pack.html?refid=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Product+Search&gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW5T95qq7GEZjdrYhgkvAyqp-vNPa7QAxa4maTOYsIu6xoCWlHw_wcB

So light, very bright, good battery life. The battery pack is accessible and you can swap for 3 AAA conventional batteries (just don't try and charge them) if you run out.

LED Lenser are the best head torches. We use these for work:

http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~92060~H7R.2-Head-Torch-In-Test-It-Pack.html?refid=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Product+Search&gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW5T95qq7GEZjdrYhgkvAyqp-vNPa7QAxa4maTOYsIu6xoCWlHw_wcB

So light, very bright, good battery life. The battery pack is accessible and you can swap for 3 AAA conventional batteries (just don't try and charge them) if you run out.
And they see all the way up a cows bum,!!!!!! 

:slap

Those portable led floodlights are good, mine also has the mag base, and is just so handy.

Also use the head torch daily when I am doing a tick check on my dog, took one of her eyelid last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thanks Apache for your excellent suggestion and link. The LED Lenser head torch looks the business and has great reviews; not cheap but then high quality never is cheap.

Thanks roys; I almost jumped in last night and was about to buy a LED floodlight through eBay but decided to give it a bit of thought regarding what I really needed such torches/lights for. I already own a large 1 million candle power rechargeable work light/torch which is very useful indeed and I've been using it a lot recently whilst working beneath our bungalow; although the big work light does its job I find it rather cumbersome in certain situations; if I place it where it illuminates the work I find many times it's either blinding me or my hands/arms get in the way causing a black spot just where I really need light hence I posted for information about a head torch which would give the best of both worlds?

My new head torch is due to arrive in the next couple of days so I'm keen to try it out; if I'm happy with it then I think rather than buy a LED floodlight which would be seldom used I may as well put the money towards a decent head torch such as the LED Lenser kindly suggested by Apache then I would have two head torches which will be ample for my needs; if I was working for a living then I would not hesitate and buy the full kit but for my needs I find when I need a bit of light I need it badly especially when all the power is turned off due to work on the household electrics; I also have the usual extension mains lamp for when power is on.

It's very interesting though to see what a huge choice of LED torches/lamps are available in fact I find the choice rather bewildering. I don't drink alcohol; smoke or do drugs and I can't stand sport but my money goes into our home or on buying kit for the workshop; I'm a tight Yorkshireman who remembers abject poverty so its difficult to hand over money if I don't think it of value? Money spent on decent kit is money seldom wasted.

Kind regards, Col. 

Hi Col, I still have a couple of original pit head torches in my workshop, haven't seen them for years, I must dig them out, before the days of cheap led headtorches I used to use the pit ones connected onto a PJ996 battery (the 6V battery with the springs on top).