Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alextrician

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I need some advice. I am wiring a shed (more like a room then a shed). I am wiring it in 6mm swa clipEd direct outdoor.  The distance between the C.U is approx. 30m. I am protecting the cable with a 40A , 30ms disconection RCBO in the C.U. At the other end of the cable, the customer wants one of the garage consumer unit (3 way C.U). The problem is that these C.U'so all ready comes with a 63A RCD as the main switch. If I leave it in this configuration , I won't be achieving the discrimination... What are your thoughts on this?

Can I just remove the 63A RCD and use the the breakers to achieve the  ADS?

self employed electrician charging a customer for their work and dont know how an RCD works... they dont have any overload or fault protection, the rating is simply what it can safely handle...

self employed electrician charging a customer for their work and dont know how an RCD works... they dont have any overload or fault protection, the rating is simply what it can safely handle...
Hey Andy.

I am on my last leg of the NVQ ( aprenticeship) mate. (An RCD only disconnects the supply in the event of an earth leakage.) I  need some advice . because the cable is protected by a 40 A MCBO at the origin of the installation

Last edited by a moderator:
makes less sense than the first post...

if you have suitable overload / fault protection so the submain at the start, then what exactly is the problem?

Change the rcd in the garage CU for a main switch, or just buy one with a main switch instead of an rcd if it fits the application.

My personal gripe with a lot of garage CU's is many put a poxy 40A rated rcd in. Why? the saving from putting a decent rated one is peanuts.

Change the rcd in the garage CU for a main switch, or just buy one with a main switch instead of an rcd if it fits the application.

My personal gripe with a lot of garage CU's is many put a poxy 40A rated rcd in. Why? the saving from putting a decent rated one is peanuts.

not an issue here, he has a 40a device protecting the cable the the CU has a 63a RCD...

Sorry mate, been a long day......hehe hehe

I was worring for nothing.... I just answer the question myself....in case of a fault/ overload the MCB will turn the circuit off....

What's the  CCC and VD on a 6mm swa over 30+m on a 40a ocpd ,? 
top of my head at 30 mtrs you're looking around 30 amps with a volt drop of almost 3%, and I mean almost, personally I wouldn't be putting a twin and earth outside unprotected, for one thing it's not UV stable and for another where's the mechanical protection. Totally unsuitable in my opinion, but each to their own.

top of my head at 30 mtrs you're looking around 30 amps with a volt drop of almost 3%, and I mean almost, personally I wouldn't be putting a twin and earth outside unprotected, for one thing it's not UV stable and for another where's the mechanical protection. Totally unsuitable in my opinion, but each to their own.

The OP in his first post said he was using 6mm SWA...

john..

The OP in his first post said he was using 6mm SWA...

john..
my bad, still it was late and I'd had a few pints though. and still well below 40A on a swa,

Yes, but i was just saying!!

[Was awaiting a reply to your post from the OP] They are now possibly wondering how they are going to go about uninstalling this cable...

john..
Easier taking out than putting in John, all he does is unscrew the screws, not like he has to undrill the holes, lol

Last edited by a moderator: